Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I want to send bees to N. Dakota

>>Montana has a three mile radius registration law.<<

Exactly. Its understandable that hives were left longer in Ca after almonds because of the late spring in the North. But with the drought in Ca, the choice is stay put and feed or move North and take a chance on making some honey. Big Bill said it right " turn around is fair trade "

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    >>Montana has a three mile radius registration law.<<

Exactly. Its understandable that hives were left longer in Ca after almonds because of the late spring in the North. But with the drought in Ca, the choice is stay put and feed or move North and take a chance on making some honey. Big Bill said it right " turn around is fair trade "
    very well said loggermike . busy bee apiary how about you invite these poor California boys to drop a semi load on each of your Montana locations. we could create a beekeeper exchange system for every box you leave in our orange we get to take one to your flows it will be great for the industry im sure one of these guys could come up with 4 or 500 hives to drop on every registered location.

busy bee contact mattbeekman about the Porterville beekeeper with the microscope an ask him how the few hives looked around the shop they were the junkers 17 /18 frames in jan/feb you will have to go far to provide a better service to the growers. by the way I am the young, ambitious , start from ground up beekeeper . shoot I even studded my bird dog for hives a few years ago now that's ambitious

Hey, that's great Bill sounds as though you are doing well.

Big Grin Re: I want to send bees to N. Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    junkers 17 /18 frames in jan/feb .
    Ole boy must have got his hands on some Nutra Bee.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

No one else from ND is chiming in so I guess it's up to me .

First off, I was actually looking for a load to lease when Victor posted this, and did talk to him. Wound up getting a load from someone I know but did talk to Victor about a friend who is looking to lease bees so that may work out for him.

As far as out-of-staters go, this is a touchy issue whether it is ND, CA or anywhere else. I can just speak from my experience and my opinion. Comparing pollination in CA to honey production in ND is like comparing apples to oranges (pun intended). Everyone knows bees need to be brought in to pollinate the almonds. After the almonds are done is when the debate really begins: where does the northern tier beek go with his bees? They can't come back to ND until mid April at the very earliest (and that would've been too soon this year, as we were hit with a blizzard on April 14-15 and got almost 2 feet of snow; mine were delayed leaving CA until April 30). Have tried going to WA for apples for a few years, didn't go well the last 2 so I passed on that this year. For me at least, options are quite limited: bees sit in holding yard until sent back up here.

As far as out-of-staters showing up in ND, I don't have a problem with it as long as they do it the "right way" (do the leg work and get yards registered like you're supposed to) and be somewhat respectful (don't drop a yard of 200 hives across the section line 50 yards away from my yard of 40 hives; I always try to keep my yards at least a mile from other guy's yards). I understand lots of CA guys have nowhere to go in the summer and look to the north to make a honey crop. What baffles me somewhat is why ND seems to be considered the "promised land". According to the latest statistics in 2012 ND had 495,000 registered (emphasis on registered) hives, SD 270,000 and MT 149,000. Our state wide avg. (69 lbs) wasn't that spectacular when compared to SD (63 lbs), yet we have almost double the number of hives.

Anyway, my $.02.
    Gregg Stewart

Well said, Gregg!. Almonds were the big game changer as everyone knows. And as you point out, its what happens afterwards that can be a problem. Someone apparently dumped a lot of hives on top of bigbill and others, and overstocked the flow. Maybe it was brokers, out of staters, or desperate beeks. Who knows.

I am glad there are beekeepers like you that will work with others to find solutions to problems.I agree that the Dakotas sound like the promised land when there is a good year. Its the bad years no one wants to talk about.

I always opted to stay home and take my chances here.Sometimes I win sometimes I lose.

Might be interested in Dakota's honey production.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Coast beek View Post
    Might be interested in Dakota's honey production.
    The Dakotas are large states that produce a lot of honey primarily because there is still a lot of area that isn't as intensively row cropped as areas to the east. It is the transitional area between the corn belt and the desert west. As this shows:
    http://usda01.library.cornell.edu/us...03-18-2013.pdf
    The per hive yields are really not much above the national average it's just that the transitional areas are pretty large. Yields tend to get held down by hive saturation and how quickly promising honey prospects can dry up when the hot dry winds typically begin in mid summer. I am always amused when I hear people complain about droughts out here. Drought in the Dakota's? I keep forgetting if that happens on the odd or the even years.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Hi, I have some registered locations in South Dakota that would be available this year if you are interested. We are a little behind this year due to the cooler weather. Let me know if your interested. Thanks

Gregg I totally agree with you. just from the cal. side its all about respect Dakota I applaud you stepping up thank you !
    happy bees sounds like this might be a better option for you good luck to you all hope you have a great season

Vicor (Happybees) is sending a load up here to a friend of mine for the honey season. Hopefully it will be profitable for everyone. Looking better as we have received some substantial rain over the last couple of days with good chances for more over the next few days.
    Gregg Stewart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12