Default New England queen problems?

The past three weeks I have been getting an inordinate amount of calls and orders regarding replacement queens for packages coming out of Georgia. Lots of dead queens in packages in April. Last two weeks a lot of "no take" calls looking for replacement queens. Most of the calls are from within 200-300 miles of Boston. Every call references packages out of Georgia. I deal with a lot of people who mess packages up from shear ignorance. This is not the case with these queens. Something is going on with the queens out of Gerogia ( maybe Alabama also) this spring. Anybody have a clue whats happening?

Default Re: New England queen problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    The past three weeks I have been getting an inordinate amount of calls and orders regarding replacement queens for packages coming out of Georgia. Anybody have a clue whats happening?
    Yup- Lots of CA queens being bought this Spring for the East Coast. We had the same situation- almost half of our order had dead queens or were laying workers within a few weeks. My best guess is that the cold weather in the South this Spring resulted in poor mating. We also suspect that some packages came up with virgin queens in them, and it was too cold and not enough drones for them to mate- ignored the packaged queen. This was in late march. Sorry to hear it is continuing.
    karla

Bought over 1200 packages in March out of GA. We had a few queens we had to replace, but for the most part good queens. We just have had to cold of weather to get the packages to build up. Just started splitting last week, and looking like this next week I should be able to split 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Bought over 1200 packages in March out of GA. We had a few queens we had to replace, but for the most part good queens. We just have had to cold of weather to get the packages to build up. Just started splitting last week, and looking like this next week I should be able to split 50%.
    Sounds like you bought from a producer who is doing things correctly. Are you splitting overwintered hives or the 4 week old packages?