Default 10 days into my package install, what should i be seeing?

Hi all!

I installed a package and queen into my first TBH 10 days ago. This is my first hive and am very much a begginer. I inspected the hive today and see they have built comb on bars 1-11. I found the Queen on Bar 2 but wasn't able to spot any brood. On Bar 1, I found only a few cells with larvae in them, but no capped brood. Almost all of the bars have honey on them with a few bars toward the entrance that had capped honey toward the top of the comb.

I was expecting to see much more brood. Is this normal?

Its been super exciting seeing all the building they are doing and watch all of the foragers bring in all colors of pollen.

What should I expect to see over the next couple of weeks? Is there anything I shoulder be looking for?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Riley

Default Re: 10 days into my package install, what should i be seeing?

Welcome to Beesource!

If you don't have previous experience, it is possible to mix up capped brood and honey cells. This may be useful:

(Photo from the brood comb entry in the Beesource Glossary.)

Note the brood cell caps have a small dome, while the honey cells are flatter.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

This is my first year too and I'm on day 12 in a Warre top bar... I couldn't see any brood Sunday, but today it's bursting with larva, and they are capping brood like crazy! It's fun to hear how others are doing with hives of about the same age! I sat and watched them bringing pollen in for quite awhile today... I don't see honey yet, but mine have stored some of the syrup I have been feeding them. I bet in a few days you will see more brood too!

The real fun starts around day 20 or so, when the first "round" of brood starts emerging, and you finally get to see the bee numbers in your hive start going UP, as opposed to the slow, dwindling decline that happens up until that point...then a couple weeks after that, when those bees start going on "foraging duty" your hives can seem to explode with new growth & comb building