Thread: Angry bees

Default Angry bees

Hello,

I have 2 beehives in my friends backyard. We've recently noticed that the bees have been more aggressive then usual. This is the only apiary I have to wear gloves at and the bees have been very defensive, they buzz at people that come within 15 feet of the hives.

An option is the re-queen the hives with a more gentle queen bee, but these bees have been doing great. Both hives have survived the last 3 years (treatment free) and produce quite a bit of honey. I was thinking of going to Home Depot and buying a 6ft tall bamboo fence to make a barrier between the bees and my friends backyard lawn. Will the bees be less aggressive, if they can't see anyone on the other side of the fence? or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Ben

Default Re: Angry bees

The fence may help, but requeening will be the best way to calm down an aggressive hive.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yup! Divide and conquer!

Split them hard and requeen each hive.
    Cheers
    Rob

Find out what over there is messing with your bees before you go through all of that. Hives being harassed by people or animals wild or otherwise get defensive. Jmo..