Default Queen Flew Away on Install

I already did a search, and found a few different answers, but just to calm my nerves I am going to ask again. Feel free to tell me to just relax and follow the other posts. :-)

So I installed my new package of bees, and after a few days realized I had missed the important step of removing the cork from the queen cage. Figured at this point I needed to go ahead and just try to manually release her. As a new beekeeper, having what seems to be 10,000 angry bees all around me still makes me a bit nervous, and in the rush I gave her a bit too much room to escape. I watched as my pretty little marked queen flew up, did a couple circles, and disappeared.

Not knowing what to do, I basically stood there in shock for a couple minutes. (perhaps that was a good stroke of fate). I had not istalled my top feeder when I did the initial install, and the inner cover was propped up against the hive covered with bees. I shook them off into the hive, then took my tool and slowly coaxed the others into the hive. I then installed the remaing frames, put the top feeder on, installed the lid, picked up my tools, inner cover, queen cage, and left the area. Still cussing all the way back up to the house, cussing some more when I couldn't remember the password to this website, and cussing even more when it took me 5 times to figure out the search function.

So from what I can tell I have a few things working in my favor. 1. I stood there for a couple minutes in disbelief. 2. I stayed in the same location a bit longer (probably 10 minutes total) while I finished my work. 3. In my less than happy mood I shook the bees off the top cover and probably helped release some of the nosanov or whatever it is called pheremones.

Even with all those things working in my favor, I have about a 50% chance of her coming back, and I need to inspect in about 3 days to make sure she has returned.

Does this sound about right? Anything additional I should do at this point (other than apologize to my wife for being in a great mood upon my return from the back field)?

Thanks!

Default Re: Queen Flew Away on Install

That stinks!

I would give them three or four days and take a peek to see if you have eggs. I wouldn't look too hard if you can get a frame of eggs to give them from a different hive.

I'm sure others with more experience will jump in.

I'm not sure what more you can do at this point (I'm sure there are some others on here more knowledgable about that sort of thing.) But as far as prevention for this sort of thing in the future, when I do direct release I always get the queen a bit wet with syrup water to keep her from flying away. Seems to work pretty good.

If the queen was in the hive for least a day chances are she RETURNED. I had a queen in a nuc and when I went to release her to a requeening cage, her cage broke she flew away and flew back to the nuc she was originally in.

Good news. When I re-inspected I saw her back and busy.

That's awesome news!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrounds View Post
    Good news. When I re-inspected I saw her back and busy.
    I told you so