Hybrid View

Default Hello from El Cerrito California

Hi Everyone,

Installed my first ever package of bees two weeks ago. Everything went according to plans and the bees seem very happy.
    The very next day I was talking to an experienced beekeeper and he mentioned that I should have at least two hives.
    I kind of knew this but I decided to take a chance rather then explain to my wife the extra $200 for the bees and frames.
    Anyway about five minutes after he told me this I get a call from my 9 year old daughter (at the store with mom) she said "the sky is filled with bees, come quick daddy".
    They were about a half mile from our house. By the time I got some tools together and drove down there the bees where in a cluster on a cherry tree about fifteen feet up. I shook them off into a box and took them home.
    Now I have two hives!
    Beeginners luck?
    Last edited by Bigfish; 05-06-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Default Re: Hello from El Cerrito California

Darn right you are!

Last week I fielded at least 20 calls from folks with messed up packages all over the US who had everything from DOA queens in packages to those who "set them free" by "accident" The best insurance a beekeeper can have this time of year is a second hive or access to the resources of a good one. Many sad folks who are stuck for the year as the package supply is virtually nil and the hope afforded people in the messed up one hive situations by just dumping in a new queen is about zilch by the time they acquire a new one.

Besides buying a smoker and a good hive tool a second hive is the best money spent in beekeeping .

Awesome! Welcome to the site!

Welcome and congratulations!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Glad you got that swarm! Pretty exciting moment -- I picked one up in Albany last week. Been a busy year around here.

Welcome, caught one in my backyard yesterday.
    We have a meeting in Walnut Creek Thursday, please come join us. www.diablobees.org
    Dan