Default New swarm caught

I caught a new swarm, didn't have a deep super to put them in, and I put them in a medium with frames drawn out. Should I buy deep to transfer them into, or what?

Default Re: New swarm caught

Depends entirely on the strength of the colony, and your own personal preference. If it was an enormous swarm and they start hustling right away, they may need more room quickly. Whether you choose to add another medium, a shallow, or switch to a deep it up to you. I try to add more room when bees are completely covering 7 or 8 frames. If there are already multiple hive bodies and supers on the stack, I rotate the unused frames to the center of activity (that's not always the middle of the box; I had a hive that packed one side with honey, but not the last four frames, all the way up).

Default Re: New swarm caught

If you use deeps for brood boxes then move them to a deep box. If you are using mediums for brood boxes and don't care if brood boxes double as honey supers then leave them alone until they require more space.

Smaller swarms are a good use for five frames nucs as well.

If you can not get a deep brood box right now, then after you do get a box, move the bees down in the hive and place a queen excluder under the medium box until all the brood emerge. That will cleanout the medium box of brood and prevent the queen from laying in it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!