Thread: apivar

Default apivar

how warm does it have to be to use the new apivar?

Default Re: apivar

There are no temperature limitations with Apivar. It is a contact mitacide so it's probably more effective if the bees are active and not in cluster. The strips are placed down into the cluster. 1 strip per 5 frames of bees.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

Could you in theory plop one or two of these in the middle of the winter cluster?
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

They are often placed in hives in March here at the same time as the first patty/feed is given.
    As stated they need to be in the cluster so if the cluster shifts any strips out of the cluster would need to be repositioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    Could you in theory plop one or two of these in the middle of the winter cluster?
    In theory, yes. You need to leave the strips in for 42 days, and if desired, an additional 14 days for a maximum of 56 days. If the cluster moves, you can reposition the strips anytime within this time period.

You also need remove the strips 14 days prior to adding your honey supers. As our honey flow really kicks into gear around Mother's Day, I'd want the strips out at the end of April. To account for the 42 day treatment window, I'd have to insert strips into my hive in mid-March.

All the information presented to us tells us Apivar is safe and effective...but this requires beekeepers to follow directions.

Grant
    Jackson, MO https://www.createspace.com/4111886
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725