Smile First Swarm of the Year in Rupert Idaho

I caught my first swarm of the year here in Rupert, Idaho. I had just finished making two nucs from two other hives when the phone rang and it was the Sheriff's Office saying that they received a call about a swarm of bees that were all over a swing set in town. My wife and I were already in the bee suits from the nucs so we hopped in the pickup, which is always set up with swarm equipment this time of year and we headed out. We were on the scene within about 5 minutes and the swarm was about 3 feet off the ground hanging from a swing. It was a big one. I guestimated approximately 7 lbs. We got it in the box with one easy shake and placed in drawn out comb with some new foundation, pollen patty and some essential oil sugar syrup. Left it set for about 20 minutes and watched all but about 20 bees walk right in the front entrance. Closed it up and took it home and set it all up. Checked their feed today and they had eaten a whole quart of the syrup. Filled it up again and just peeked under the inner cover to see them and all ten frames had bees and they were as calm as could bee. Closed it up and so far it looks good. Hope they stay around. I will check them again in a week or two. Bad part is I never remember to take pictures of the before swarm. Got a couple of them walking in the front though. Just excited to let people know the swarm season has started in Idaho. About two weeks earlier than last year.

Default Re: First Swarm of the Year in Rupert Idaho

This is my 1st year with bee's. Never messed with or seen a swarm but am trying to learn more about it. What kind of equipment do I need. When you talk about shaking them into a box, do you just shake them into an empty hive or do I need a special box?

I use a regular 10 frame deep box. Place it right below the swing, lifted it up and dropped it. The whole ball of bees feel straight into the box. I worked my built out comb frames with a few mixed in foundation and let them go to work. Now not all of them are this easy. This one was an extremely easy one and only took about 20 minutes and we were done and headed home. I have built a swarm bucket to reach up in trees with. I can reach about 16 feet into a tree. I usually don't like to climb trees. My swarm bucket will hold about 6 lbs of bees. Made from a water bottle with the bottom cut out. I will try and get a picture of it for you on here.

Also forgot to tell you that I always spread a blanket out under my box just in case I miss the box with the queen.

Swarm Catcher.jpg
    Swarm Catcher
    IMG_20130505_193638_311.jpg
    Extension 20ft reach
    IMG_20130505_193622_838.jpg
    not pretty but works good for me.
    Last edited by Luv2beekeep; 05-05-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add images

You are not going to believe this. Just after I posted the pictures of my swarm catcher I got a visit from a farmer friend and he said he had a huge swarm of bees on one of his wheel lines. The wife and I loaded up in the swarm mobile and headed over to his place. This is what we found. About 3 feet off the ground again.
    0513111859a.jpgCopy of 0513111858.jpg
    I figured another 6-7 lbs of bees. Just slid my hand down the pipe and they just peeled right off and into the box. Covered it up and left it for about 30 minutes and came back and they had all went inside. Closed it up, brought it home and gave them comb, foundation, pollen patty and sugar syrup. Two of the easiest swarms ever. I wish they were all like these two. I am sure my hard ones are coming though.

Now that's a big wad of bees