Hybrid View

Default How often do you inspect your hives? And do you smoke during inspection?

Hi guys,

I'm a hobbyist with a few hives and inspect my hives about once a week, they're not full inspections but more or less top bar manipulation or to make sure no cross-combs in my foundation-less langs.

Wondering of often you folks check on your hives?

Thanks,
    VanCity

Default Re: How often do you inspect your hives? And do you smoke during inspection?

I've been instructed to check my new hives every 7-10 days weather permitting.

Default Re: How often do you inspect your hives? And do you smoke during inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by vancity View Post
    Wondering of often you folks check on your hives?
    The time of the year dictates how often I inspect our hives. During swarm season I check every seven days, unless there is bad weather. Other times of the year it varies. For example, during our summer "dearth", I do not inspect.

Shane

This time of the year {spring build up} every week and what i do is look for 1 to 3 day old eggs and if i see that i just crack the hives in half and flip them on there sides and see if theres any QCs 10 min. tops thats if i'm moving slow. And yes to smoke every time .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

I am with Glock. I check mine every 7-10 days and watch for swarm cells. I to always use smoke on my bees. They have been extremely calm this spring, but why take the chance. I use burlap and mix in Sumac buds and branches. I learned from Fat Bee Man that the sumac has a calming effect on the bees and it seems to have worked, even on one hive that was quite testy at times. They have really calmed down. I still wear my protective clothing. Call me a wimp if you want, but I want to keep doing this for a long time.

Nope, having a suit on is to protect yourself in case the bees turn temperamental. They do
    stay calm and suddenly releasing their defense hormone all of a sudden. So far they are much
    calmer this year.
    But again it may be my fault for inspecting them every day or every 2 days. Don't use a smoker
    though since last winter.

Every seven to ten days is a good idea to inspect. I don't smoke during the inspection, but I do wear my suit.

Every couple weeks if no problems. Yes to smoke. Not overboard but I use it every time. I'm third year beek. Best advise I was given was to have a specific goal for each hive inspection, and to keep the visit to that goal. Following that advice has probably kept me from being too disruptive.