Default Black walnut as a pollen source?

I live in an area that has quite a few black walnut trees. Are these known to be a useful source of pollen or nectar for bees?

Default Re: Black walnut as a pollen source?

That's a good question and my guess (and it's only a guess) is that it wouldn't be more than a minor source simply because it remains dormant for so long in the spring that by the time it produces any pollen there are many more attractive plants for the bees to work.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have read that bees will readily use black walnut as a pollen source. However, like Jim pointed out, I have not seen the bees on our walnut trees.

You never know, this year they couldn cover our walnut trees.

The walnuts are the last trees to bloom here, and they are coming out now, but there are currently many other sources available (henbit, dandelion, ..honeysuckle). I was mostly curious, figured that with such a mother lode of pollen from all of the trees that it would be a shame if walnuts weren't of much use. I have tried to see if any bees were working the trees, but any trees near my house are all over 50 feet tall and it's not quite possible for me to espy any activity from ground level.

I guess another part of me is also hopeful to find the answer was 'yes.' After years of having to rake nuts before mowing, rolling ankles and parking the cars away from underneath it would be nice to know that some bee benefits could be obtained.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.