Hybrid View

Default Educate me on swarms

Very new to bees and this year is my 1st hive. I talked to a lady this week that said about once every year or so she has a swarm of bee's at her house and lets a guy catch them. Said if I was interested the next time she would contact me.

First off, is it a certain time of the year they swarm? I am in northcentral Missouri.

Next, how the heck do you catch a swarm? Need special equipment or just set an empty hive out for them to go to?

Once they are caught, just put them in an empty hive and buy a queen?

What else would I need to do?

Default Re: Educate me on swarms

Swarm information for you:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

Generally, a swarm would have a queen already. The swarming bees are planning to establish a new colony, and need a queen with them to do so.

Swarms looking for a new home may temporarily cluster in an exposed location while their scouts check out possible new homes. At that point, the swarm can often be shaken or brushed into a box or bucket, then transferred to a hive body.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Guess I have never seen a swarm. I should expect to find them just bunched up on something? Then just catch them? What is best way to catch them?

If they are looking for a home, what would be the chance if someone put an empty hive out beside them, them making it their new home on their own?

Just heard this lady has them show up in an old hollow tree.

Another friend has them in the walls of a barn. Said these are so thick you can hear them in the walls and are everywhere when you walk into the barn. Never done anything about them because they have never bothered anyone.

How would someone try to catch bee's in these situations?

To catch a swarm you get out a small buterfly net.... No just kidding... once the swarm is settled you are best handled if you put your box directly under them and give them a good shake. sometimes that means cutting a branch or two.... if you just set a hive on the ground, odds are they will ignore it.

As for the barn, its a cutout, or set a swarm trap 100 yards away....

Youtube Josh..... youtube.
    Look up bee swarm
    Also bee removal

Be prepared to watch for hours.