Default 1st week inspection ...when to add next brood box

Last week I installed 2 - 3# packages each into 1 - 8 frame medium box with foundation. I performed my first inspection today removing the queen cage. The queen had bee released and I was able to see her in both hives (she has a red dot).

Bees quite docile, lots of pollen coming in, they are taking syrup.

I was wondering with the information below and that I'm using 8 frame mediums, should I add the next box now or wait a few days ..or week?

First hive:
    Bees on 6 frames
    E 3/8 F F F F 3/8 E (3/8 = being mostly full on the inner side, some drawn on the outer side)
    ----------^

Second hive:
    Bees on 5.5 frames
    1/8 3/4 F F F F 2/3 E
    -------^

E = empty
    F = full
    ^ = location of queen

Thank you!

Default Re: 1st week inspection ...when to add next brood box

Add when frames are about 75% full of brood and stores.

Thank you for the feedback Mr.Beeman!

Agree with Mr.Beeman, you're going to be a bit more attentive with 8 frame mediums than the average beek in 10 frame deeps. Sounds like they are building quick. Nice!

As they are bringing pollen in now, shouldn't be long before they are on flow. Some in your general area are already seeing some from what have read from forum posts. Definitely have extra gear ready very very soon. Don't let it sneak up on you at the last minute. Have 2 club members using same. One is still converting and is on second pallet trip to Dadant in 6 weeks. Betting I get another phone call to help build frames again. Now, what to ask for back in trade, hmmm.

Good luck with your ladies and keep us posted.

Next inspection move one or two of those partial or empty frames in between full frames of capped brood.
    To everything there is a season....

I'm new so I'm just making sure ...wouldn't that break up the brood? I always thought that was a BIG no-no. Or am I misunderstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Next inspection move one or two of those partial or empty frames in between full frames of capped brood.

As long as your weather is good (i.e. warm) and there's plenty of bees in the boxes you can do that.

If there are enough bees to cover the opening created with an empty frame placed between 2 frames of capped brood then you're ok. You don't want to do too many too quickly or you will run into problems with chilled or uncovered brood. Methodically moving empty frames towards the center encourages the bees to draw them out.
    Sometimes the outside frames in a box are ignored by the bees and moving them in like this gets more frames drawn before adding another box.
    To everything there is a season....

Ah! Gotcha ...thank you for the explanation. I'll try that out!

I'd watch them carefully and be ready to add another box on top, especially if you're feeding.

When things are moving along quickly, you can split brood frames without much problem. I sometimes do that when I add a super just to get the bees up top. Adding brood makes the bees take care of the brood and they occupy the new box.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I'd watch them carefully and be ready to add another box on top, especially if you're feeding.
    Definitely feeding ...and just went out to watch for a few minutes. Bees are bringing in pollen ...don't know about nectar ..some bees are coming back without pollen ...nectar? propolis (wasn't sticky at all during the inspections, nothing stuck together either)?

Bees around here bring in more propolis in the late summer and fall than in the spring. That's fine with me, I'd rather them bring in pollen and nectar.

OK, I'm at least 75% brood and stores ..but I'm in that 2.5 week mark where my bees will be fewer and fewer until shortly after the 3 week mark.

Do I add the second brood box now? Or wait till some brood hatch (early to mid next week)?

My temps are about 57 - 63 in the days and 45 at nights.

You can wait a bit but its not the end of the world to give them space early.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    You can wait a bit but its not the end of the world to give them space early.
    I appreciate the reply ...of course I'm paranoid about them swarming on me. It's like my thing to be worried about until this is resolved and I find something else to worry about -