Default Feeding multiple hives from common location

Does anyone have ideas on ways to feed multiple hives from one location? I have five hives, all new Nucs recently placed in deeps, and it was recommended that I feed them this year to help build them up. However, I'd rather not feed each individual hive and instead have a single location for all the bees.

Lazy? Maybe a little.

Efficient? Trying to be.

Thanks for the info.

Todd
    Last edited by Aucoop94; 05-05-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Default Re: Feeding multiple hives from common location

Welcome to the forum....

You might want to read about "open feeding".

You will be attracting other bees.
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

I'd go with frame feeders work nice for nucs .
    When i use to feed suryp i would put out chicken waters{with screen around where the suryp come out so the bees don't drown} filled with suryp about 100 yards way from the beeyard in the spring on a table worked great but you feed everything that likes suryp.
    Good luck with your bees.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Well I have seen pics of setups with a single feeder using multiple (tentacle like) tubes running into hives. Seems like way more trouble than it's worth to me with lots of opportunities for leakage and other problems. I would suggest inside feeders and a five gallon bucket, slide the lid over and pour it in. 10 seconds a hive max.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I agree with the posters above that open feeding has risks, however, if you want to do it, here is a useful thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-can-open-feed
    Note the posts by Belewsboy starting in post #14.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-05-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Wow! Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll try the links included. I tried to search for the topic but didn't see anything related on quick glance.

Funny, I just bought some frame feeders the other day (not here yet), because I was tired of using upside down plastic bucket method. But before I used the frame feeders I wanted to see what others were doing to feed multiple hives. To me if you have a single location to deal with its much easier than filling all those individual feeders.

I'm a newbie, but I'm devouring all the info I can cause I really like it. Plus, my 11 year old daughter is keenly interested too and I'm trying to cultivate that in her as well.

Thanks again.

Todd

I tried frame feeders in my first hives (KTBH) but, when I re-designed the hives, I decided not to go to the extra effort of making new frame feeders; now I only ever open feed (and that rarely...only fed for about 2 weeks this spring) now. When I set syrup out for my bees, I use the plastic chicken waterer everyone else referred to. I simply filled it with syrup & set it out on a "stand" of cement blocks, about 200' from my 5 hives. I think the key to successfully open-feeding is that you MUST:
    • NEVER use feeding stimulants, or scenting agents (like LGO, real honey, or honeyBhealthy)
    • Realize that you're feeding everything around (including, sometimes, ants), so keep the feeder well away form your hives, and make sure there's plenty of extra syrup to "go around"
    • Keep your hives VERY capable of defending their own stores, i.e. keep the entrance reducers on unless the hive is VERY well populated.

Kelley Bees has one for sale on their website. Pretty neat design and easy to build if you are a do it yourself kind of person. Basically a bank of jar feeders with a roof.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...33333933343336

I use a five gallon chicken waterer with rocks in the tray works awsome.