Default new from wisconsin

Hi from wisconsin.We are new bee keepers this year. We installed one 3 lb. package on 4/20/2013 and soon realized that one was not going to be enough for us. We installed 4 more 3 lb. packages today, 5/18/2013. We are now curious to see how this will go.

Default Re: new from wisconsin

Welcome, plenty of Wisconsinites here. Spring arrived today too.

Hello Dave, glad to hear you are having fun. Bees are a good way to relax because when you open the hive, the total concentration blocks out all other thoughts and cares. At least that has been my experience. Glad to have more cheese head beekeepers around.

Welcome Dave!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!

5 new packages will definitely keep you busy this summer! You will also have an excellent opportunity to see how different each colony will become. Plan on having some honey this year, 3 lb packages will build up quickly so be ready with additional equipment and super when they are ready. Keep it simple as far as extraction is concerned, crush and strain will work just fine for 5 hives, I used C&S with 11 hives last year and will use it again with 15 this year.

Good Luck and welcome to beekeeping!
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Will be interesting to see how each hive does have a few different startup.one with all plastic frames that were primed with wax,couple with wood frames and plastic foundations and a couple with drawn out comb.As far as far extracting we did get a 3 frame extractor with the equipment we bought off of crags list.

Hi D A V E -
    Welcome to the forum - its a great place to hang out! I am just up the road from you a few miles off the Bancroft exit. I always ALWAYS smile when I drive past the Endeavor exit sign because its such a great name for a village!
    Sounds like you are off to a good start - a great start really - and your craigs list find sounds like a treasure trove!
    See ya
    Chris