Thread: Bee vacuum

Smile Bee vacuum

IMGP2591.jpgIMGP2592.jpgIMGP2593.jpgIMGP2596.jpgIMGP2597.jpgI have searched and can't find the true source, but someone posted their design of a bee vacuum and I copied it and it really works wonderfully. Thank you to whom ever it was! I have made a couple of modifications one being after drilling the holes I covered the pipe with open cell foam and the vacuum hose I found sump pump hose at my local hardware store was about half price of the pool hose. I got 24' for twelve dollars and yes I have used it and it works great (makes a horrible sound). Total cost was less than thirty five dollars and it absolutely doesn't kill any bees. For and additional twenty bucks you can add a pool pole duct tape the vac hose to the end of the pole and you have about twenty three feet of reach for less then sixty dollars. Again thank you to this forum for the great idea!
    Last edited by Mrobisr; 05-05-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Default Re: Bee vacuum

How about a picture of this nice vac
    You speak of

Post photo or link if you can. I am wanting to build one myself.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Sorry guys thought I attached pics last night, but here you go. FYI the blue cut off valve I run that in the half on/half off position to reduce the suction. You might could increase the suction more and not kill the bees, but at half it gets nearly all the bees with no loss.

I have one similar that I built for under $30 a couple years ago. I will have to get some pictures on here.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

I give up can't get this picture thing to work

If I can find someone to go with me on a job I would love to video the vac in action it's awesome. I would love to claim the idea, but I can't.

beehonest;
    I built one today. Built two inner baskets, will at some point build a third one, may get lucky! Anyway, THANKS for sharing the photos. Mine is working fine, will post some photos later.
    I also built 9 B Lusby (http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/) sandwich frames from plans here on Beesource. That was major work and I still need to wire them. Why nine? I am count challenged at times!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

No problem julysun, glad it helped you. I was in depot and had some store credit, I saw that vac head and I remembered the one I saw in the brushy mountain catalog. I stole their idea with cage, the rest I figured out as I went. I wanted one with a cleaner look. And I hear the cage system on the brushy squishes a lot of bees, wanted to tweak that a little.$30 is better than $130. Anyway I am happy with mine, I have tested it but I am anxious to get out and use it.

Beehonest; I have a cutout scheduled for this Saturday and my Vac is ready. Will let you know the results.

I hope this picture upload works, I am still stumbling around with the upload. Anyway, these should show my Bee Vacuum, baskets and Lusby split frames plus my gear ready to go cutouting.

Note that my vacuum entry is at the top. I drilled two 1 1/4 inch holes with stoppers. Also a cardboard covered dump out hole so if the girls won't walk out I can shake them out. I have a luggage scale attached to weigh the bees, at about 4 lbs I think the basket will be full. The vacuum control hole is located to blow on the incoming bees to cushion their fall. Control is Duck tape partially covering the hole. I n my past life I was an Instrument Engineer so am good at elegant control schemes such as this!

I am showing some Lusby split frames for the cut out comb. Also have plenty of rubber bands as backup.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77932428@N05/?details=1

Click on the pics to blow them up for detail view.
    Last edited by julysun; 06-07-2013 at 04:40 PM.