I am heartbroken. I went out for a swarm call today and all started well. It landed about 10 foot up and was a HUGE number of bees. After about 30 minutes, I collected about 3/4 of the bees in a Home Depot 5 gallon pail; it was close to half the pail in volume. covered it tightly and headed home.
About 35 minutes later, I was home, suit on, hive ready and when I opened up the pail, 90% of them were dead, the other 10% not doing well. I will see what tomorrow brings but I am not too hopeful.
What went wrong? Why dead? Could it be lack of oxygen or just too many bees crushing one another from the of them? What should I do differently next time??
Thanks for your support
Chris in NJ