Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
#1 - Since the GA package presumably came from 5.4 mm foundation, how long will it take for them to regress to ~4.9? Should I checkerboard the brood nest any this first year to allow them to regress more, or leave it alone until next year?
I don't know how long it will take. Keep at it though, if that's your goal. It depends on how you do it and local conditions. I wouldn't worry so much about 'checkerboarding' so much, just add two or so frames of foundation in the middle of the brood nest each spring and work the larger stuff out and up.

#2 - My hives are in ski country WV, at around 2900' elevation. Am I accurate in assuming their chances of survival are low, regardless of my practices?
Not necessarily. Georgia bees might have problems wintering but you won't know until it happens. From my own experience, I can say that Georgia bees don't winter well if you get temps down below 10 degrees. That's what I happened to me.

#3 - My package is drawing comb like a machine, and have been in the hive for 1 week today. When should I expect to see eggs and brood? (I haven't really looked yet. The only thing done was to refill the feeder with syrup, and make sure the first couple of combs they started were straight and on the bars.)
A queen in a hive like that will start laying eggs when the cells are about half depth or so. If there is much comb of that depth, she will have already begun to lay. Probably.