Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Storing Empty Supers with Drawn Comb

Hi all,
    Last year, I took the route of freezing (for 2 days) then stacking a total of 20 honey supers in my basement (sealed). This winter, I got rid of my spare fridge and my hives have expanded beyond last years.

This spring, I opened the two stacks and it looked like a circus act with close to 50 months were sprung from captivity....all in my basement....my wife is not terribly happy.

Thinking ahead, how do I go about storing these supers this coming winter without the aid of a fridge? I could keep them in the garage but I am afraid of incubating another few hundred months and destroying huge amounts of comb...

Thanks
    Chris in NJ

Default Re: Storing Empty Supers with Drawn Comb

Paramoth or freezing are the only two options I know of.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

If you know anyone who fumigates their supers, you could possibly throw yours in with theirs.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd4421 View Post
    Thinking ahead, how do I go about storing these supers this coming winter without the aid of a fridge?
    You could treat the comb in those stored supers with Bacillus thuringiensis, v. aizawai. (Bta)
    http://www.valent.com/Data/Labels/BI...ari%20MSDS.pdf

More on the Bt aizawai variety here:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Aizawai-Powder
    If you are interested in contacting Beesource member Sundance offering Bta, see the last page of the thread.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-30-2013 at 06:12 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Isn't BT a treatment? I bought some and from now on I'm using it if I think I can't use the frames quickly, as I"m tired of losing good comb to wax moths. It's the only treatment I will use in my hives. I tried a year without and that is with freezing frames first and trying to keep them exposed to light as much as possible.

Chris, do you get a good winter freeze? Could you store them outside instead if you want treatment free?
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

You are located in NJ so you could easily store them outside for the winter. After harvest in the fall place the supers back on the hives above the inner cover, the bees will come up through the oval hole and clean the wet frames, when freezing weather comes remove the supers from the hives and store outside in a dry place.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    You are located in NJ so you could easily store them outside for the winter. After harvest in the fall place the supers back on the hives above the inner cover, the bees will come up through the oval hole and clean the wet frames, when freezing weather comes remove the supers from the hives and store outside in a dry place.
    Excellent plan... its what we do. when spring is handy we move them indoors until hives are ready for them, but as noted you have to be careful on timing. we just last night went thru the last 20 or so and threw them on hives as the moths are starting to get them.

I put my supers filled with frames of comb, in large, see through plastic bags. I like to be able to look down occasionally to make sure everything is alright. Then, store these in my basement.

I had a mildew problem when I sealed them in a plastic bag--seemed like a good idea at the time but won't do that again.

This is the Treatment-Free Beekeeping Forum. Paramoth (paradichlorobenzene) and BT are specifically listed as treatments in the forum rules. Please exercise the freedom to discuss them elsewhere!

Another rarely talked about option which is completely treatment-free and much more natural than removing supers is leaving them on. Think about it, who removes the supers out of a feral hive in a tree? Nobody, they stay there. I have been leaving all drawn comb on hives all winter for ten years. It is not only a viable option but reduces swarming dramatically as hives maximize use of space from the very beginning of the season.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

So Solomon, you don't have a problem with the hive not being able to prevent moth and SHB damage due to being in cluster or low numbers in winter if you leave 3 -4 supers on? I assume you have taken the honey out prior to winter?

Nope. I don't have any problems at all with this method. Rarely do I talk to someone who won't try it who has actually done it.

Honey is harvested in June so there is little if any in the top of the hive come winter.

I have no issues if I put them back on the hives by the time of the main flow (usually the second week of June here). There are usually no significant numbers of wax moths before July here. Your climate will determine such things of course.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    This is the Treatment-Free Beekeeping Forum. Paramoth (paradichlorobenzene) and BT are specifically listed as treatments in the forum rules. Please exercise the freedom to discuss them elsewhere!
    Why don't we work to get the title of the forum to show when you are reviewing todays post??? Don't see a darn thing on this page about what forum its under?? (might be me) but its sure not obvious...

Thread heirarchy is at the top of every page.

Don't see 'cause ain't lookin'.

I've read that comb can be stored where they get plenty of sunlight but no direct sun (which would melt the comb). Wax moths don't like light. I'm trying it for the first time this year and so far so good. They are under a porch spaced several inches apart.

Comb that has never had brood…light colored wax….has no value to wax moths.
    I stack mine in a shed that has one open side. They get good daylight and stay aired out.
    I stack them with a metal queen excluder on the bottom and top of each stack. The excluder keeps mice from building nests in them.
    I’ve been doing it this way for years without any wax moth issues.
    Now if the comb is dark …..that’s a whole different matter.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beehonest View Post
    Paramoth or freezing are the only two options I know of.
    You need to research more.........many more options..........
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    I've read that comb can be stored where they get plenty of sunlight but no direct sun (which would melt the comb). Wax moths don't like light. I'm trying it for the first time this year and so far so good. They are under a porch spaced several inches apart.
    I do a lot of storage right out in the full sun.... even in the summer, with the supers sitting on their small side. It can work for a long time. Put as many as you can on the hive and the rest line up outside... I recommend the full sun... unless it gets a lot hotter in Lincolnton than down here on the coast....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Solomon, sorry I didn't realize it was treatment free, I always click the new post button, if it says the forum somewhere I have never seen it? I just noticed it the hierarchy you were talking about, you have to be looking for it to see it just kind of blends in. SNL, I have never needed to serarch after I tried freezing them. I have tried leaving them on, I lost some comb that way, I think location has a lot to do with it. I have tried plastic bags no luck there either, maybe if you freeze them then bags. As far as wax color, I have a light color honey super that is destroyed as well as some new foundation they have started working in. I guess they are just bad here?
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast