Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Can I use frames with old pollen?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  throrope 
#1 ·
Had a dead out last fall, or at least I guess that is what it is called. Last fall I had 2 hives that swarmed on me late season. 1 found a miracle drone somewhere out there, and the other didn't make it. These frames are from that box. A few of the frames are heavy with pollen. They got pulled out of the yard around November, and stored in shed. The pollen looks glossy??
I am picking up 2 packages Tuesday and wondered it they would be ok.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you're using foundation then save them for later use, but if it's foundationless I would put them in the middle with one empty frame in the middle. Later use being frames for swarm catching/holding. In my opinion packages seem to stay put without anything added.

#4 ·
"In my opinion packages seem to stay put without anything added."

I'm reading the OP as not to keep the package in place but rather to provide ready stores for the package to promote build up. I have zero input with my limited knowledge, but am interested in the answers in case I ever run into a similar situation and hopefully remember some of the knowledge I have acquired from reading. My only input would be make sure the dead out isn't from AFB before using the frames ( otherwise, burn the hives your house and surrounding 20 acres ;).

#5 ·
A trusted codger in a commercial operation installs new packages right into dead outs and lets the girls clean house.

The girls will rearrange furniture and furnishings as they desire.

Gear suppliers advise comb replacement. Others advocate for migrating to small cell. Natural beekeeping is only bounded by the limit for stretching imagination. For me, the girls often remedy difficulties before I figure out the "best way".

I'd go with it. I also suggest trying splits and running more hives than you think you desire. That mitigates winter losses and provides stock and gear to build back with your own survivors instead of stressed packages. My girls are from my first package near a decade ago. One year's purchased packages didn't make it to the following season.

Last Friday a swarm clustered on our Japanese Snow Bell. I put an empty hive from last winter's loss on my boys Radio Flyer wagon, lifted the swarm to clear as I rolled the wagon under and knocked them in. Last I looked they were setting up shop and bringing in pollen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.