Default minimum bee space for frames

so i cut down my frames for 1 1/4" spacing for narrow frame foundationless, but am concerned because the top bars have only 1/4 inch of space between them. i could put them on a router table and lose 1/16 on each side. your thoughts?

Default Re: minimum bee space for frames

Here is a thread you may be interested in:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-PF-120-frames
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

1: 1/4" in my recollection is sufficient "Bee space" ... so that right there could be your answer
    2: I don't know if this option would be at all attractive to you personally, but if you check the instructions for my top bars here, they are 100% compatible with your equipment and, for a brood chamber (I'm assuming that's the only place you're using 1 1/4" "thin" frames), you really shouldn't have to worry about comb collapse, and you'll most likely never be wanting to extract your brood anywise...just a thought
    3: If you rout 1/16th inch from both sides, you'll go from "min" bee space of 0.25" to "max" bee space of 0.375" you can do it, but, in my experience, it *will* raise the amount of comb you find between frames; so I think if you really wanted to see an improvement, something closer to 1/32" would be the "ideal" ... but then we're REALLY starting to split hairs, IMHO

1/4" is fine. 3/16" is the lower limit for the bees to get through, but might restrict the queen some.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF