Default bug spray and bees

so I just pulled a tick off my dog that he most likely got in the field where I keep my bees. I also had 1 in my car and saw a couple on the legs of my hives.

my question is what effect will wearing bug spray on my pants ( to keep the ticks off of me) have when I'm working on my bees?

I have also in the past had clothing that was treated with pyretrin for insect repellency. Thinking treating a pair of white painters pants that I use when I go out in that field.

Default Re: bug spray and bees

I see no one answered so I will give my opinion ............I don't think a small amnt of repellent on your clothing will hurt the bees because they would have very limited exposure. when crops gardens ect are sprayed and bees are working those plants is when you run into problems with poisoning

Thanks for the reply! I try to be sure to spray it on before I head out there so it has time to dry before I am actually working my hives. But the ticks worry me more than the bees do! (I just dont wanna be lethal to my little honey makers!)

There are other threads on this forum you can look up but cedar is said to repel moths, mosquitoes, ticks and fleas. I don't have personal experience Except my bees are in a full cedar hive and love it and are doing great(not one sort of invader but it's only been 6 weeks) so I'm sure it doesn't hurt bees. A dumped bag of cedar chips just might help to keep ticks away from that immediate work area! If you try it and it works let us know!

I might see if I can dump a few bags of cedar chips under the hives because that will help keep the grass down too