Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

brood everywhere

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Wisnewbee 
#1 ·
This is the first time I am Experiencing my hives coming out of the winter time into spring. One colony has brood in all three boxes. The bottom box has brood and the second box has brood with some honey. Before winter hit I left on a shallow super on top because I was the bees did have enough honey to make it. So now with brood in all three boxes what should I do? The hive appears to be very active and strong. Do I find the queen and put her in the bottom box and add a queen excluder?

Thanks

#2 ·
No expert here, but I wouldn't do it. If there's still honey in the top box, the queen will only lay in the very bottom of that box, and then move back down on her own. In other words, the honey will stop her. Once the brood in the top box is capped and you don't see any more queen activity in that box, then you can put on the excluder. Or not, if you don't want to. After the brood emerges your bees will probably fill the top box out with honey and you can take it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.