I got a wiff of the "banana scent" today. I was installing bee escapes and did not smoke one of the hives. As soon as I popped that innercover off, they boiled out at me and I could smell that odor. Pretty amazing! This happened once before with dickm's hives. Dick couldn't smell it though.
    "To bee or not to bee"

Not everyone percieves it the same, but it smells like artificial banana flavoring to me. Now that you know what it smells like you'll notice it a lot more.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've noticed the smell but like Michael says I do not perceive it to smell like bananas. It does tend to make me sneeze which usually intensifies the alarm!

To me it smells like venom. Perhaps the venom vapors from the drops of it that you see on the tips of stingers masks other scents to me.

yea It doesn't smell like bananas to me either, it's sort of sour/ a bad thing is going to happen kind of smell.
    Joseph

Default Re: Alarm pheromone, smells like....

I know this is a really old thread but I was searching on the smell of alarm pheromone. Last week I was splitting a hive and taking too long (looking for queen) and as I was putting the original hive back together with new frames to replace those I'd removed, I suddenly smelled this very strong scent and the bees began to roar. To me, not like bananas. More like venom, like Tim describes it. Sort of a medicine smell, hard to describe.

Today I went out to check on queen releases, and in a different hive I'd split due to being hot, as soon as I lifted the lid the scent was released again. The queen was out; I can only hope they didn't kill her. I didn't look for her, only removed cage.

Now I will notice it right away. Quite a distinct odor.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

It smells like bananas to me.....especially like bananas when I received a sting on the bridge of my nose.

But it might depend each individuals sniffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Not everyone percieves it the same, but it smells like artificial banana flavoring to me. Now that you know what it smells like you'll notice it a lot more.
    I get the artificial banana flavoring smell also. Kinda like a banana liquor.

It smells like a certain hospital floor cleaning chemicals. When they all released the scent at
    the same time it was like a drop buzzed. The air suddenly changes that no longer smell fresh.
    Yes, I agree it is like venom or chemical.

I can attest that it isn't a good idea to visit a hive right after apply sunscreen that has a banana fragrance. I only go one sting, but they pestered the hell out of me in my suit.

Banana snowcone always comes to mind for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    artificial banana flavoring
    Yep!!!