Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Serious Rain Ahead

The Chattanooga TV weatherman is calling for up to 8 inches by Tuesday for some areas (including mine) around here. It's going to be hard on the bees and the beekeepers. I hope everyone makes it through safely.

rainfall.jpg
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Serious Rain Ahead

My house is in that picture! LOL

We are west of Ft Payne and are predicted to get somewhere in the 2-3" range. That's on top of the 3" we got last weekend.....

Why does it always have to rain on the weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    The Chattanooga TV weatherman is calling for up to 8 inches by Tuesday for some areas (including mine) around here. It's going to be hard on the bees and the beekeepers. I hope everyone makes it through safely.

rainfall.jpg

This is round 2, last weekend it was 4 inches and two feet of new water over the dock. I had to cut the chain on the pontoon boat to keep it level.
    Of course I just installed three packages today and made a split on Thursday, just great weather this year.

Wait till you see what this rain does for the flow!!!! Stinks on the short term, but you will get bumper crops this year! Embrace the rain!

4 1/2 On my side of Jacksonville. 60% tomorrow so it could go up but the stars are out tonight... ST Augustine was around 10 inches or more

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Wait till you see what this rain does for the flow!!!! Stinks on the short term, but you will get bumper crops this year! Embrace the rain!
    Actually our main flow is anchored by tulip poplar and locust - both of which are currently blooming - when those are finished everything else is minor in comparison. When we get a lot of rain during the main flow not only does it keep the bees in the hives but it actually washes the nectar out of the poplar flowers.

We're having sunny and in the 80's to low 90's here in the S.F. Bay Area

Of course we had a REALLY dry winter this year, snow pack at only 17% of normal (that was on the news this morning) but at least the reservoirs are pretty full. I have the feeling the only decent blooms we'll have later will be in irrigated areas (gotta love suburbia for that!) or maybe the eucalyptus will come through at the end of the year. I'm waiting for the unirrigated areas to shut down anytime.

Be glad for your rain!
    Brian

No rains here either. Temp up to the 70-80s. Looks like another summer of drought here.
    It would help if we have some rains though. Better plant something to help them out in the
    summer time. Going to be hot and dry that the wild forest fire is already burning.

I expect Tulip Popular and other trees that produce nectar generate a lot more when it's sunny and stable weather. So rain will wash out yesterday's nectar but the flow will be delayed till sunny and warmer weather. The bigger problem with tulip popular is the flowers are so big they get damaged in windy weather and this front is very windy. In the past, like 20 years ago, in wet cool springs the tulip popular flow would produce a darker amber color honey, sometimes it would be dark brown. In recent years I think it's be been used inside the hive for brood food and not much is stored as surplus. My major crop is more a mixed with clover and sumac, very light in color. Since I've kept bees in the same area and the majority of the forest cover is still present with a high density of tulip trees the only change I can think of is warmer May temps. Warmer daytime highs cuts the number of days that tulip popular produce nectar so the flow is more intense but not as drawn out over three weeks instead of ten days or less. Since tulip trees flow is more like a flood of nectar the bees can't forage it all so more days in the field with tulips blooming equals more honey. This year's weather will but the theory to the test.

We are several inches below normal here in Connecticut. Things are blooming but nectar is on the low side. I wish the midwest would share some of their rain.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain and cold all day. A day fit for a duck or beaver, not much else.

I had two 3-frame nucs come in today that I had to get into hives. Fun fun fun. not.

This morning I turned in 2.75 inches for the past 24 hours to CoCoRAHs. Some stations south of me turned in 3.40 inches. I'm sure there will be higher totals from around the region. A three-day total will be interesting, too. Maybe I'll Google plans for building an Ark! drown.gif

Yesterday we got 5 inches in 4 or 5 hours. 3 day total 9 1/2 inches

I posted 1.6" early this morning on

www.cocorahs.org

and just looked at the gauge and have another .5" in the last two hours. We are being told that we can expect several more today.

I put a gallon of warm syrup on each hive yesterday in hopes of giving them something to do for the next several days.

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    Yesterday we got 5 inches in 4 or 5 hours. 3 day total 9 1/2 inches
    Wow! And what is the name of that hurricane?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer128 View Post
    Wow! And what is the name of that hurricane?
    It has felt like a tropical storm we usually get later in the year but in most cases those storms come and go in 24 hours ish. This one has just sat still and dumped rain on us for 3 days. We are use to rain but I think most people are now over it and can't wait to see the sun again. (I can't believe I said that)

How much did you guys get Trance? My rain gauge overflowed so we got at least 8.5in over the past three days.

Here comes more for us........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast