Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

No more white hives for me

13K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Sticky Bear 
#1 ·
I just can't stand the looks of the white hives sitting in my field. Every time I see the hives, they look like big white piles of garbage. I just bought 5 gallons of light tan exterior latex paint and will be going with that. It's got some fancy name like Sierra Lacey Sand Mist, but it's light tan. :D I am probably about to break some unknown law of beekeeping............

If you like white hives, good! I hate em.

#31 ·
I often check with the local paint stores for mismatched paint. They sell it at a very nice discount. I stick with light colors, mainly: tans, greys, blues, greens, yellows and off whites. I don't like dark colors because I'm worried they will heat of the hives too much in the middle of the summer. I have also heard that dark colors can irritate the bees. Lastly, in a bee yard with lots of hives a little variation in paint color from hive to hive can help the bees orient themselves easier.

#40 ·
OK-but I went completely scientific and chose Green Monta Fenway Park Green for my boxes. I even went so far and am experimenting with simple graphics to see if it makes a difference. Maybe the bees come home after a long day and forget what apartment building they are in, so I am trying to give them something that identifies their crib. Obviously a newbie and don't have a lot of spare time, but my local hardware guy knew the 'secret' pantone color code for the Monsta and said he could mix me up a batch of tinted latex primer. I never asked the bees if they were or are Sox fans? Some are from Georgia and the others are from Louisiana I am told. They like baseball down there too- don't they?
Green Turquoise Wall Room Table
Bee Insect
Having fun and the little things don't like RAIN DELAYS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.