Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

No more white hives for me

13K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Sticky Bear 
#1 ·
I just can't stand the looks of the white hives sitting in my field. Every time I see the hives, they look like big white piles of garbage. I just bought 5 gallons of light tan exterior latex paint and will be going with that. It's got some fancy name like Sierra Lacey Sand Mist, but it's light tan. :D I am probably about to break some unknown law of beekeeping............

If you like white hives, good! I hate em.

#2 ·
light tan should be alright brad, or maybe mix some white with it.

i'm with ya on the ugly, but there is a good reason to have them white when keeping hives in alabama.

in the heat of the summer, say 104 with 90% humidity, it's a chore for the bees to keep the inside of the hive cool.

they have to forage water like crazy, (good to have a water source close by), and without any nectar coming in they have to burn through their stored honey for energy.

my wife hates it, but mine are as pure white as i can get them as to reflect as much sun heat as possible. i also make sure the hives are well ventilated.

next week's weather looks more conducive to doing some full hive inspections. hopefully you can make it and i'll show you an easy way to make the vents.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did think about that, so it's a very light color although not as reflective as pure white. Maybe it will be okay. The hives are due east of my house. I am going to leave the south facing side of the boxes white. That should get real confusing come restacking time....... Regarding water close by, the hives are sitting about 30 yards from a 2 1/2 acre spring fed pond. I'm looking forward to visiting your bee yard. I knew today was going to be out for an inspection.

#5 ·
I took a look at the ones in your top link the other day. I thought it was an interesting concept. I have no practical experience at this yet, so anything I offer would be just a guess.

With a ventilated top for an exhaust and the entrance for an intake, it would be quite possible to set up a type of chimney draft ventilation. If you could find the correct size for the exhaust vents in relation to the entrance size and used a darker color on the hive to cause it to heat up, that the hot air rising would pull cooler air into the hive. BUT, I'm only speculating......

#6 ·
yep, that's how it works. the bees introduce another dynamic by selectively fanning air as needed for cooling the hive and drying out nectar. interestingly, they use propolis to open and close the window screen vents as they see fit for their airflow needs.

the darker paint is an advantage in the winter, but a disadvantage in the summer. there's usually a tradeoff in most things beekeeping.

some beekeepers get really creative with decorating their hives.

#17 ·
I went for the color that Eco Wood Treatment gave me. Here is what they look like so far. Bee Beehive Furniture Apiary Honeybee
Those still in my garage don't look much different than when they were new - the sun and rain darken them a lot.

As far as a darker color, we live where it is cold in winter and not too hot in summer, so I figured a bit darker will overall help them out. The wood is darkening up nicely as advertised (these were treated about one month ago).

#21 ·
I paint mine whatever color is in the mistint rack at Sears and Lowes. There's high quality paint at bargain prices. My buddies lament my color choices (Pepto-bismal Pink is their favorite) and state no self-respecting thief would bother to steal my hives--they'd have to be repainted.

Grant
Jackson, MO https://www.createspace.com/4111886

#28 ·
I don't know if I really accomplished anything with my new color. I painted 3 deeps today and they aren't bright white, but they look dirty white...... Oh well, I at least painted the fronts bright yellow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.