Default Bee Suit or Boiler Suit and veil

I have just completed a beekeeping course, but had to delay my own hive, simply because my garden is too small. I initially thought about a single hive, but now know this isn't ideal and anyway, I would want more.

However, I have just been given the chance to look after three hives for somebody else, which is great.

I now need to get some protective clothing.

There are several full bee suits on the market, for varying prices, but other folk have suggested using a boiler suit and a veil.

What would readers here recommend please.

During my course, I borrowed a very thin jacket type suit, with a hat and veil, which seems to me to be OK ... Although the instructor did say the bees there were very gentle.

Thank you for any advice.

Default Re: Bee Suit or Boiler Suit and veil

I normally use a half suit, blue jeans are heavy enough to stop a sting ( most of the time) but I would suggest a regular suit with a dome hooded veil, it’s easier to fold down when you need a drink of water than taking off a veil and hat. Mann Lake offers economy suits for reasonable price and I find them to be a lot of bang for the buck.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

I bought a hat , veil and some Red Kap painter coveralls and my wife sewed up the pocket openings on each side and I also bought a jacket with a zip on veil. They both work well and were reasonable in price.

Jeff

Get a jacket!

For years I used a veil and either 'regular' clothes or painter's overalls. Two seasons ago I purchased a jacket with integral hood. My only regret is that I was so cheap and it took me so long to do so! It's much more convenient to just quickly slip on jacket and not have to fool with layers or tying veil etc.

As to jacket or suit, I would not want the heat of two layers on my legs and also wouldn't have to remove trousers every time i want a quick peek in beeyard. I usually don't pay attention to what I'm wearing on legs - usually jeans - and have never had a problem getting stung.

I suppose if I had a big commercial type setup and was spending all day working bees, I might invest in a suit... YMMV...

I've used a Economy Hooded Jacket from Mannlake for 3 years now with a pair of jeans and gloves. Anything else is overkill in my mind.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

I like my jacket. Although I now use an English style, accordion veil. A jacket is just so much easier. And, since its white it covers most of my usual dark clothes. Trust me bees don't like dark clothes (I don't worry about dark on my legs and it seems the bees don't either)

> but other folk have suggested using a boiler suit and a veil.

("boiler suit" appears to be a UK term for what the USA calls "overalls".)

If you already have the overalls, those should work fine with a veil. I bought a $3 lightweight long sleeved white sweatshirt from a resale store, and used with long pants and a veil, it works fine.

Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

after a month of using tyvek painter coveralls and a hat/veil set-up, it was becoming too hot for me. Summer temps started to climb and i was sweating WAY too much just doing simple checks on the bees. i was not looking forward to spending extended time in the hives, so i finally bought a suit. I opted for the full suit as I am usually wearing shorts and wanted my legs covered. Added benefit here is that i no longer have to worry about the dang mosquitos that seem to congregate near the hives. Anyways, the suit was something like $60, and is far cooler than the painters coveralls. Whether you get a suit or just a jacket, get something! it makes the whole bee experience much more enjoyable. The integral zip on veil of the suits/jackets is also more convenient than the hat/veil set-up. I still have the coveralls and veil in case folks want to check out what bees look like, but you won;t see me wearing them anytime soon!

I think a jacket is the way to go.....I bought mine one size larger and can keep it all zipped up and just slip it on over my head like a "hoodie"

It works, and it's fast and easy

I prefer the ventilated suits/jackets. Much much cooler in the summer.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Smile Re: Bee Suit or Boiler Suit and veil

Quote Originally Posted by KPeacock View Post
    after a month of using tyvek painter coveralls and a hat/veil set-up, it was becoming too hot for me. Summer temps started to climb and i was sweating WAY too much just doing simple checks on the bees.
    It never gets that hot here in the north east of England.

Thank you everybody for all the replies.

I have two photos of my great great Uncles, in their WWI garb - portraits taken @ a photographer Whitley Bay. Useless info of course, but your location caught my eye!

Like several mentioned above, I think a good setup is one of those jackets with a built in hood - and thick trousers either jeans or other thick fabric. Its easy to get into just a jacket - if you have something a bit more complicated that you have to step into, take shoes off to get into, is restricting your movements etc, you might find yourself not taking the time to wear it at all!

My first ever encounter with bees was a cut out in March. I put on insulated coveralls, heavy coat, gloves I had at the house, hat and veil I bought from China. I taped the cloves on, taped my pant legs to my boots, put the hood up on my head before I put the veil on and off I went to cut the bees out. It did not take long for me to break a sweat, get a couple of bees in the China netting and almost sufficate before I could get all of the tape undone and undressed.
    Blue jeans, long sleeve shirt (sometimes) bee gloves and regular from america hat and veil does the trick.