Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New NUC install..head bumps

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  joysiam 
#1 ·
i installed my NUC last saturday. the weather here in CT has been absolutely gorgeous, with everything blooming at once so they have lots of places to visit. i peeked in the hive on Tues. and all seemed peaceful. i went in without gloves with no issues. during the last couple of days while walking out to the car or just around the yard both my fiance and myself were head bumped it seems. no stings just a hard thunk. we were nowhere near the hive either time.
any ideas on this? we are hoping they will settle in soon and not be so face friendly.

thank you for any advice

#2 ·
You could put an "obstacle" (i.e. fence) in between the entrance to the hive, and wherever people are likely to be walking, to force the bees to fly "up and over" & keep their flight paths above your heads; and/or you can hang some flags/windchimes/streamers within sight of the hive entrance(s) to "get them used to the motion."
Also, sometimes you'll find a hive that has "that one mean bee" who just keeps butting you for the few weeks she's on guard duty, then dies off & there are no "mean" replacements for her.

#5 ·
..."that one mean bee" who just keeps butting you for the few weeks she's on guard duty, then dies off & there are no "mean" replacements for her.
Very true - I think,it is also true for established beehives. From time to time I have an "active" bee, who is just too enthusiastic about her duty. If it is repetitive - than it may be an indication of some problem, or weather or ... whatever. Yesterday, I got a few head bumps absolutely without reason (I was shacked by such ruddiness). An hour later I discovered that huge swarm is occupying my empty hive. So, apparently, there was a reason - bees from my hives were already alerted about the coming swarm... Once swarm established, we all are at peace now.

#6 ·
well i hope she goes on her merry way soon as i like to sit out with my coffee in the morning and want to watch them wake up :)
i am opening up today to see where we are with drawn out comb, they have had a week of amazing weather here and bloom so i am curious as to where we stand
thank you both for your help
my fiance is so tired of my bee talk..he calls me a nerd!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.