Question Bees and soybeans

has anyone had trouble with your bees being next to soybeans? Lost your hives/bees? I've had my hives on some land that was hay fields and this year they cut hay and drilled soybeans. With all the talk of GM seeds I'm concerned about my bees. All info and replies are appreciated. Pembroke

Default Re: Bees and soybeans

Seems like soybean is all they plant around here anymore. I am not going to say that the soybean itself is bad for the bee. GMO or not.
    But I have had tons of problems with bees this spring and summer, there are several hundred acres of soy beans nearby. They may or may not be spraying something on the fields that do not agree with the bees. I know I do have a huge tomato farm about 3/4 mile away, I really believe that I saw 4 hive die within 2 weeks of their dusting with SEVIN.
    I know bees do not pollinate tomatoes, but there was definitely a wind drift that day, and who knows where the SEVIN ended up.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

the GMO brand enables them to be able to spray roundup and depending upon as was mentioned "wind drift" and how it's sprayed that may be a problem. I've had one hive that was quite hot after the area near them had been sprayed. They've since calmed down, but still that was a problem.

so what happens when the beans bloom? I hear that the seed is treated with an insecticide that carries into the bloom. Pembroke

The soybeans are starting to bloom here in northcentral Kansas, and the hive that is virtually surrounded by soybeans seems to be loving it. I am no expert on bees, but I did grow up farming. IMO, roundup ready beans are better for pollinators than most other chemical treatments. Reason being, roundup is applied once (some do it twice, but not in my area) and that is all the chemical is applied as far as herbicide is concerned, instead of multiple applications of multiple different chemicals. Roundup is usually applied very early in the morning or late at night, so bees shouldn't be around in large numbers. If a farmer is spraying with high winds, it's the farmers stupidity, not the chemicals. Let your farmer neighbors know you have bees and the vast majority will make a concerted effort to minimize drift. Most farmers care about the environment as much as beekeepers IMO.