Default ? Is everything going OK

Thank heavens this list exists...it is an online mentor for us...for which we are very grateful

We hadn't checked the hives for about 10 days. Previous check we added a deep to each as the lower deep frames were about 80% in use.

Bees are very active...coming back bulging with pollen. They start early in the morning and don't stop till the sun goes down and things cool off.

One hive seems a bit stronger than the other....more bees in the top deep. Both hives are now taking only a bit of sugar syrup and the protein patties were pretty much as we had left them.

Both hives are now in the top deep, the stronger hive seems like it has just started to draw out comb. The weaker had not started with this though there were some bees on the frames. We took an outer frame from the lower box and put it 2 frames in on the top box on the weaker hive. We replaced the frame we moved with an empty frame. We did not do this on the other hive as those bees were building out comb.

Both hives had built some bits of comb that joined some of the bottoms of the top deep frames and the top of the bottom deep frames. These appeared to be filled with golden honey not brood.

We simply lifted the "glued" top frames, reversed them and replaced them.

The bees seemed content and organized.

Now that they have been with us 5 weeks and there seems to be plenty of natural food do we continue to check weekly or should we leave them for longer periods to simply get on with their business without disruption? Should we be pulling frames from the lower deep to continue to check brood patterns? We have not done this since checking that brood is there and is being capped.

Also every now and then there will be a dead bee on the entrance board. I take a look for adult varroa but haven't seen any. Would I see them if they were on the bees? Do they leave a bee when it dies so I wouldn't expect to see them on a dead bee.

Thanks for all the help.

Default Re: ? Is everything going OK

Give them more time. Some hives are slow about working a new box of foundation. As long as there is a flow on they will eventually start working it.

As far as the mites, it is unlikely that you'll be able to find mites with the dead bees. Worker bees die everyday so it is normal to see some dead bees all the time. The dead mite will be found directly under the frames on the bottom board, unless you have a screened bottom. The live mites will be found on the live bees as well as in the capped drone brood.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    Also every now and then there will be a dead bee on the entrance board. I take a look for adult varroa but haven't seen any. Would I see them if they were on the bees? Do they leave a bee when it dies so I wouldn't expect to see them on a dead bee.

Thanks for all the help.
    If you start seeing mites on bees in the hive, it's my opinion that you have a lot of mites. I never see mites on bees while going through hives, but I have plenty of mites. As far as finding them on dead bees, I also doubt that you will find many there but it reminds me of the first Varroa mite that I ever saw.

One morning I noticed a drone on the landing board of a hive. It wasn't dead, but was lying there kicking not looking too healthy. I picked it up an put it on the top of the hive. As soon as I put it down I saw a small red thing run down into an area between the sections of the bee. In a few seconds it came back out and sat on the bee. I took my pocket knife and knocked the mite off of the drone onto the hive lid. I got a magnifying glass and got my first look at a Varroa mite.

I think they're doing fine. If you want them to draw comb on undrawn foundation, move the frame towards the center...even splitting between brood frames if you have good weather and a strong hive...and they'll build it out. If they were my colonies I'd stop feeding and let them do their thing, checking every so often to make sure they have space and / or to figure out when to super them.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"