Default Is Apivar suppoed to look this way?

I opened my first package of Apivar and it looks just like a plain piece of dry hard plastic. No moisture, no smell, nothing. Is this how it comes? After using Hop guard, I guess I expected messy or at least some moisture coating.

I was almost disappointed I didn't find mites in most of my hives..LOL. Wanted to give Apivar a try to see how well it worked. The two hives I did install them in had a mite drop of about 15-20 total mites on the whole bottom board in 24 hours. We'll see as the brood uncappes how many accumulate.

Default Re: Is Apivar suppoed to look this way?

Lauri...I am not trying to sound "flip", but why would you treat with such a low count? Kinda like taking antibiotics if you think you might get pneumonia in a couple years...??? Sorry....admittedly, I don't treat anything unless I must. Good luck with your bees...hope all goes well for you.

This hive had a lot of mites under the capped drone brood.

Does it need to warm up for the smell to be noticeable?

I heard the same thing Lauri, it's pretty lackluster but works well. Just a plastic strip, no mess or nothing. I'm jealous, we need a restricted use permit and applicators license to get it down here in nofreedomfornia.

My question Lauri…..how long until your nectar flow?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I looked Apivar up thru a web search and found the Mann Lake ad. After a six week usage of Apivar there was an average across the 20 colony test group of 8.5 mites per 100 bees. That seems pretty high to me. A lot lower thgan the control group of course. But, 8.5 mites per 100 bees? Wouldn't that be where recommendations say to treat?

I don't know Lauri. I haven't seen the stuff myself.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I'm jealous, we need a restricted use permit and applicators license to get it down here in nofreedomfornia.
    That situation has recently changed. It is now approved in all 50 states. More here:
    http://apivar.net/epa-approves-apiva...united-states/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I have a light flow going on right now..main flow starts July 1-20 or so. Then it's time to use my new bee trailer ( That we're building right now) and production hives are up to higher elevations. I'll post a pic when it's done. As bear proof as possible and tricked out a touch. Probably Just enough to tempt someone to steal it.

I bought Apivar to treat the very large hives that are too hard to get into late summer. After some of my very large hives crashed after the main flow last year-I had planned to break up all my large hives in to single deeps so I could manage them better for the three step hop guard treatment schedule, but with Apivar I believe I will be able to leave some in tact.

I wanted to try it out on a few hives to see for myself the impact-good or bad.