Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New Cut out no queen

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rabbithunter 
#1 ·
I did a cut out of a barn were me and my beekeeper friend got a nuc box and i put alot of brood and honey in a ten frame hive. I left the hive in the loft of the barn touching the outside board above there old hive. when i went back to check all the bees appeared to be in my box none in the old hive location and no workers on the wall. I closed the box up and took it to my house were i left if and just feed sugar water thought i got the queen. Noticed lots of forgagers working during the day. I left the hive for about ten days then checked it yesterday. I found that they had drawn out alot of new comb and had capped brood but no eggs of larva. I looked closer trying to find the queen and found three queen cells on a center frame. I supose im just wanting to know if there is anything i need to do to help them out, and how long i need to wait to check on them again.

#3 ·
The queen may have been killed or lost, or the bees may have decided to blame her for the disruption of the cutout and replaced her.

If the queen cells are large and stand well proud of the normal comb, it's likely a supersedure. If they are obviously normal worker cells elongated in place and stick out from the comb more sideways, likely you lost or offed the queen during the transfer.

Should take three or four weeks this time of year to get from a capped cell to a laying queen, possibly a week or two longer if the weather doesn't allow the queen to fly much.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.