It was 36 degrees...strong north wind...sleet and 2 inches of snow last night. My mentor suggested NOT hiving them, but screening the entrances and keeping them in the garage until Sunday or Monday. I was concerned about their food supply, so made a new top for the nucs with a hole in them. (We have to return nuc boxes). So I cracked the first top off, and MAN WAS IT FULL OF BEES! I sprayed them with 1:1 sugar water. And put new top on, threw on a mason jar with 8 tiny holes drilled in it, and set old top aside. Bit had about 100-200 bees on it. There was a bit of wild comb on lid, and they didn't want to leave. So I brushed them off gently to the lip of the front of the hive. Most took flight, but I think a majority found their way back. It's 43 degrees today, and windy. They seem testy.
My question is, if I am not planning to give them until sunday or Monday, do I need to feed them? Or, will they be ok screened off in a garage at 45-50 degrees for 3 or 4 days with no food? I really don't know how much honey they have. I'm guessing about a frame.
If I DO need to feed, any better way to keep em from flying? Should I smoke them instead of sugar water spraying them? Maybe just crack lid, smoke them, and wait a min or two?
Any tips are SINCERELY appreciated!