Default Just got nucs yesterday....BUT

It was 36 degrees...strong north wind...sleet and 2 inches of snow last night. My mentor suggested NOT hiving them, but screening the entrances and keeping them in the garage until Sunday or Monday. I was concerned about their food supply, so made a new top for the nucs with a hole in them. (We have to return nuc boxes). So I cracked the first top off, and MAN WAS IT FULL OF BEES! I sprayed them with 1:1 sugar water. And put new top on, threw on a mason jar with 8 tiny holes drilled in it, and set old top aside. Bit had about 100-200 bees on it. There was a bit of wild comb on lid, and they didn't want to leave. So I brushed them off gently to the lip of the front of the hive. Most took flight, but I think a majority found their way back. It's 43 degrees today, and windy. They seem testy.

My question is, if I am not planning to give them until sunday or Monday, do I need to feed them? Or, will they be ok screened off in a garage at 45-50 degrees for 3 or 4 days with no food? I really don't know how much honey they have. I'm guessing about a frame.

If I DO need to feed, any better way to keep em from flying? Should I smoke them instead of sugar water spraying them? Maybe just crack lid, smoke them, and wait a min or two?

Any tips are SINCERELY appreciated!

Thanks.
    Chad

Default Re: Just got nucs yesterday....BUT

This year i hived packages in my garage (very cold outside and sleet) on drawn comb and frames of honey. They stayed in there for 4 days (screen board 1/2 open). Finally moved them outside and they are doing great. I'm not as sure about nucs since they are brooding, but we've had several 2-3 day cold rainy spells without flight and these colonies were doing great.

maybe if you get a day in the 40s you could hive them with a feeder in your garage until it warms up

if it's only 3-4 days, I wouldn't worry about a nuc making it...if they had any reasonable stores before, they'll feed themselves fine for at least a week or two, in most cases. I had 2 4-frame nucs make it through last winter here in coastal TX (only about 30-45 consecutive days with 0 forage around for them) with 0 feeding from me, so I wouldn't be concerned about anything shorter than, say, 3 weeks, unless they were "running on empty" in the first place...just my opinion.

Thanks for the comments so far! So I do find it interesting....one of the nucs has hardly any sound coming from it and the other 2 are REALLY buzzing. Kinda weird!

Quote Originally Posted by killervector View Post
    thanks for the comments so far! So i do find it interesting....one of the nucs has hardly any sound coming from it and the other 2 are really buzzing. Kinda weird!
    sounds about like 3 nucs of normal bees

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    sounds about like 3 nucs of normal bees
    Yep!

I am a little further south, but in the same boat. It's a blizzard outside right now. Picked up 4 nuts on Tuesday. Nothing you can do but wait it out. It's supposed to be 75 degrees early next week.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Are the bees local? For an insect bees are extremely intelligent. They know not to go out when it's 30 something out. Wind is a bigger concern and gush or too can steal heat from inside their home. You don't need to feed them they'll eat they're honey stores which will last days if they have a good frame.

It was also neat to me to see some of the girls airlifting the drones out of the nuc today! They sensed the cold and said time for the boys to leave! Lol

They took a pint of syrup in 18 hours. It's got me wondering how much honey they have if they're hitting the syrup that hard.

They'll take the syrup before they raid their capped honey stores...that capped honey is a precious commodity to them! I think their taking the syrup really only indicates that they have no nectar flow coming in which, in this case, we already knew, as you have them locked in a garage, waiting for better weather