Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Petition: Direct the EPA to ban the use of Neonicotinoid pesticides

Direct the EPA to ban the use of Neonicotinoid pesticides, until proven that it does not negatively impact honeybees.

Numerous recent studies link the CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) of honeybees to the use of certain Neonicotinoid pesticides (e.g. imidacloprid, clothianidin, thiamethoxam).

Population of honeybee colonies has been dropping at an alarming rate since 2006. EPA keeps on ignoring the fact that there are effects from these pesticides on bee health. If honeybee health were of any concern to the EPA, the use of these pesticides would have been banned years ago. Countries such as France, England, Italy, Germany and Slovenia have banned at least some form of Neonicotinoids (e.g. for seed treatments).

EPA has agreed that there are "known acute toxicity of these compounds to pollinators" but has not even placed the use of these toxic pesticides on hold.

Please sign at the link bellow:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ybees/zK6mgtc3

It needs 150 signatures to be searchable on the white house website.

Default Re: Petition: Direct the EPA to ban the use of Neonicotinoid pesticides

I tried to, but the site gave me nothing but trouble while attempting to sign in. Is anyone else having the same problem?

...are we to assume that if they ban these chemicals that less harmful ones will be used? Anyone want to explain what those are and why they are going to be less harmful?

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Limonchenko View Post
    Numerous recent studies link the CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) of honeybees to the use of certain Neonicotinoid pesticides (e.g. imidacloprid, clothianidin, thiamethoxam).
    Which studies?

don't buy the products these chemicals are used on, that will get far more attention than your signature on a petition.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Corn... Soybeans... beef... chicken... pork...(The last 3 are all fed Nico Feed) it is gonna be tough to eliminate from our diet....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    ...are we to assume that if they ban these chemicals that less harmful ones will be used? Anyone want to explain what those are and why they are going to be less harmful?

deknow
    Ahh.. now there is the fly in the ointment...
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Corn... Soybeans... beef... chicken... pork...(The last 3 are all fed Nico Feed) it is gonna be tough to eliminate from our diet....
    didn't say it was going to be easy.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I'd love to hear from those who produce commercial quantities of honey - I'm starting to believe that if you want to know with certainty that your bees are safe from pesticides, herbicides, etc., that you need to control (own) the land the bees forage on, or take your chances. This would certainly increase the expense of producing honey and I've no idea if the market would support higher prices for domestically produced honey. Thoughts?

Maybe a better way of phrasing my question is to what extent do land owners who are not beekeepers themselves have a responsibility to manage their land in ways that allow bees access to safe and nutritious forage? I imagine (meaning speculate) that unless the beekeeper is providing reasonable compensation to the landowner, no obligation to provide safe & good habitat exists.

The conversation starts to get interesting when each party gets some benefit - pollination by the farmer/land owner and honey for the beekeeper.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Says on website only 9 people have signed this - amazing!

NEEDED: 99,990 now still needed.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Well understand the story, but personally I wouldn't sign...at least not yet. no real data, and living in the middle of the soup, I know what a benifit they have been to our agg community and food supplies. As a beekeeper, if we had some real evidence, I would be on board.. but at the moment its like the fracking issue... lots of noise....

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Well understand the story, but personally I wouldn't sign...at least not yet. no real data, and living in the middle of the soup, I know what a benifit they have been to our agg community and food supplies. As a beekeeper, if we had some real evidence, I would be on board.. but at the moment its like the fracking issue... lots of noise....
    I suppose that's why there's only few people that signed so far. You don't believe in your voice or are afraid of alternatives like "deknow".
    The petition only allowed 800 characters and all of them were used up. If you say that there is no real data than you're missing out. Take for example EPA's own website since you trust them so much:
    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/about/...opean-ban.html
    Each of those countries didn't just use the wind direction in guiding them on banning at least some form of neonicatinoids. and they have done it in 2008! this is 2013!

The point of the petition is to raise the awareness about the issue and nothing will ever be done regarding this unless we raise our voice.

You still haven't answered the question, "what will replace it." I hope you're not hoping to go back to the organophosphates. Did you ever hear of DDT?

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    You still haven't answered the question, "what will replace it." I hope you're not hoping to go back to the organophosphates. Did you ever hear of DDT?
    Imidacloprid is 7297x more toxic to honeybees than DDT (acute toxicity). However, acute toxicity is not the main problem. Imidacloprid is highly persistent (160 days halflife time in water, 2 years in soil)

And neonics killed all those eagles and Ospreys too I guess.

And neonics killed all those eagles and Ospreys too I guess.
    Why don't you create a petition for them?

Neonics become part of the plant... I have not seen many Eagles or Ospreys collecting pollen or nectar on corn.

Apparently you have not even looked at what a Neonicotinoids really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Limonchenko View Post

Still waiting for a list of the numerous studies which link neonicotinoids to CCD. (see posts 1 and 4)

I only know of studies which have failed to find a link between neonicotinoids and CCD so I would be interested in hearing about the studies you referred to in your opening post.

Yes! DDT - another miracle of modern MONSANTO science!!! They thought it, too, was good . . . back then....
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
    Still waiting for a list of the numerous studies which link neonicotinoids to CCD. (see posts 1 and 4)

I only know of studies which have failed to find a link between neonicotinoids and CCD so I would be interested in hearing about the studies you referred to in your opening post.
    I can't believe I have to do this on beekeepers' forum.

Enjoy reading...

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/p...reatedcorn.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...ne.0030023.pdf
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0029268
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22292570
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22461498
    http://www.boerenlandvogels.nl/sites...urwissen_5.pdf Yes, nosema is one of the aspects CCD.
    http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/resea...rupkeBees.html

I am familiar with those studies but none of them claim that neonicotinoids cause CCD

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast