Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How many mediums should I start with?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Hello I am a newbee taking the plunge. For ease and uniformity I have decided to use all mediums. My understanding is three mediums = two deeps, but how many mediums should I start out with on a hive with packaged bees coming in? One, two, or just go ahead and do three?

#2 ·
I'm curious about as well, I started two hives on all 8 frame mediums about a week and a half ago. I started with two each thinking that was closest to one deep. As of yesterday they have drawn out about 70% of one 8 frame medium. Given that I would think it's ok to start with one, but I'm interested to hear what more experienced voices have to say.

#5 ·
Add your next box as the previous one gets about 80% full. Keep feeding if no flow is on for drawing comb. Stop feeding once you get the number of boxes you want for brood, 3-4, then put one on to collect honey for your use. I am guessing that in Va. with a relatively mild winter you could get by with 3 mediums for brood. Check with a local beek.

#9 ·
>How many mediums should I start with?

With a five frame medium nuc box and no drawn comb, I put a package in one box.

With an eight frame box and no drawn comb, or drawn comb, I put the package in one box.

With a ten frame box and drawn comb or no drawn comb, I put the package in one box.

When the box is 80% drawn, I add a box, or in the case of the five frame nuc, move them to a large box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.