Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

improvise

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  beepro 
#1 ·
Hi, All! In an emergency situation before you can scramble some bee equipments consider
using biodegradable foams to hive your bees. These are easy to cut with a knife for mating
nucs since I have 14 qcs about to hatch. You think this will work for a 2 week period?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
long as the bees cannot get from one to another it will work.

Bear in mind that new virgins will hear the other virgin piping next door and can be very motivated to find a way into the other nuc, if there is a hole, they will find it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the hint, Old timer. The hole is just right next to each other. There is a divider right in
the middle tug inside the hive entrance to separate the 2 entrances. If the virgin queen decide to
walk over to the other side then there is no way to prevent this. Since I stage my qcs to hatch
within one week from each others then I can get the new virgin for a replacement in case the first
batch do not make it.
Anyways, I already check to make sure there is no hole between the dividers at the top and bottom
of the hive. Then I put some small bricks to hold down the top foams. Follow by the top cover to hold
everything down with a big brick on top. The hive entrance face opposite direction of each others.
If you look at the letter W then every V there is an opening for the hive entrance. Maybe I will put
another divider on the outside entrance to separate the 2 entrances. This way the virgin cannot
walk over that easily from the outside.

#4 ·
Yes you need to separate the entrances widely. Less because a virgin will walk from one to the other, but more because she can enter the wrong one after her mating flight. I use standard supers divided into 3 for mating nucs, but have each entrance on a different side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.