Default Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!!

When inspecting one of my queenless hives today I forgot to consult my notes first... Upon not finding any capped queen cells I promptly moved over a frame with 2 from a smaller hive that had 4 capped. Now they each have 2 I figured.
    Upon returning home and consulting my notebook I now see that this big hive had several capped cells on Sunday!!
    Seems like one has emerged, killed the others & the bees have already broken down the cells?? This hive has been queenless for 18 days now. Would they be this organized to clean up the hive so quickly?? This really threw me for a loop!! I may have just wasted 2 good capped queen cells!!!
    Also of interest I found 2 swarm cups that had eggs in them!! No other eggs in the entire hive. Weird. If I had a laying worker would they do that?? I have rotated in a frame of open brood to suppress that.
    If only I had looked at my notes first... I really disturbed that hive something fierce when going thru it. Hope I didn't lose her in the whole process...

Default Re: Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!!

I have looked for queencells after the queen has hatched and it will be like they never existed. They do clean up the evidence of the cells with precision. If a queen hatched out she is probably ok. If not the new cells you put in will be there so it will be alright I would think.

I have seen where the queen lays eggs in the cell cups but it doesn't mean that they are going to build a cell necessarily although they might. When I had Russian bees they had those cell cups all the time it seemed like. It makes sense that they have those. It's like they are ultra prepared if they want to make a queen. To not see any other eggs except in the cell cups seems peculiar because that would mean that there is a queen that by chance had only layed in those??? I'm not sure... maybe you missed eggs that were somewhere else too? Not sure either way I think it will end up with a queen soon. It is that time of year. I mess up with notes too or I just go by memory and mess up. It works out.

Good Luck,
    VW

What would you say is a good estimate, 2 days for them to remove all evidence of the queen cells? After a little more thought, I do seem to remember what looked like 1 cell being torn down but I couldn't be sure at the time.

So am I crazy to try and save those queen cells by going back today & pulling that frame ?? Or should I leave them alone and not disturb them??
    I really wanted to make a mini nuc with them for a spare queen...