Default Oxalic Acid - a few questions

Hello all,
    I am considering using OA for mite treatment this year. Where do I get it? How do you prepare it for application? I am leaning more towards dribbling. Please fill me in. Also, how much does a "normal" amount cost? Cheap or pricey? Thanks in advance.
    Ben

Default Re: Oxalic Acid - a few questions

I plan on using it late in the year if needed. I bought it on Ebay as wood bleach. It wasn't expensive. I plan on using Randy Oliver's recipe. I recommend heading over to his site. He has all the info you would ever need to do a dribble.

You can buy at most hardware stores....I picked up a tub of it at Ace. Just in case I want to clean up the wood frames in my hives. Cost of treatment - I mean bleaching the frames is pennies per treatment. Best done when broodless.

I have a friend considering using this and also found Randy's scientificbeekeeping.com/oxalic-acid-questions-answers-and-more- to be an excellent long read. It is quite detailed on results from around the world and methods.

Definitely worth the time.... So my friend says.

The best timing for AO dribble is in early winter when the colony is broodless, and should be applied to bees that are at least loosely clustered. It will still work if you dribble in the spring, but it will only kill the phoretic mites and not mites in the cells which will be emerging with brood. Some mite reduction is better than none I suppose.

Have you done any testing to see what you mite levels are?
    To everything there is a season....