Default 2 splits close to mother hive, need to bring home...

I helped my friend with her hive Sunday, top medium had no frames and all burr comb with honey, brood. I rubber band ALOT and put into 2 nucs plus dumped tons of bees. I left them there so the foyagers could go home but I think I may have the queen in one. When I looked at them the next evening they were both full and busy and so is the mother hive. I want to take one and hive it and sell the other once it is established or maybe I should hive them both together...still deciding.

Dilema is I live 1/2 mile away down the road. So I want to seal them up at dusk, take to my apiary and unseal, let them sit and get use to it for a day or two and then dump one or both into a new hive. I know many will fly back to old location and hopfully rejoin the mother hive and any newly hatched or nurse bees will stay with the nucs.

Is this a good plan or do you all see anything wrong with it. Just checkin.... BTW I crush strained the extra unused honey combs from this and man, is it light and sweet...so good! This was a swarm I gave her last year where we thought it would fail and it is busting at the seams so I want to continue this hive for certain.

thank you! I am just beginning my 3rd year bee keeping.

Default Re: 2 splits close to mother hive, need to bring home...

I guess no one on has an opinion on this or is interested? Guess I'll continue to do trial and error; it is becoming a waste of time to post anything on this site anymore. Should I even both posting my results if no one cares?

I doubt many will go back, most should re-orient right away, but you will lose a few. I moved my strong hive about 1 mile last year, just down the road, only had less than 100 bees go back to the old location where I left the stand and an empty nuc. I let them settle in for a few days and took them home, they were happy to rejoin the hive. Face them a different direction than the original, it may help too.

Whenever I move a hive, whether 2', or 50mi, I stuff the entrance with some green grass & place the hive in new location at/after dark. In the morning, the bees get the grass pulled out of the way, re-orient, then stay put; I haven't had any noteworthy issues with bees "going back" to an old location that way. Also, if the parent hive's still healthy & full, I wouldn't worry about it needing any foragers back; let them stay with the nucs, nucs need a field force too

Finally, I would keep the nucs as separate hives, now that they've been separate for long enough to each be starting Q cells. It's still plenty early enough in the year for them to build up, and I'd hate combining them after they were so close to being fully independent.

Thanks guys, wish me luck!

Ca Bees
    I only have the home apiary, so when I make splits they are only moved to the other end of the apiary. I make up nucs early in the morning so that the field bees are still in the hive. After moving the hive I put a wad of weeds, branches, or leaves right in front of the entrance. This will make the bees re-orientate, and few of the field bees will return to the parent hive. I have done this for years, and the only time it has not worked is when the splits are made after the field bees leave the hive.
    Good Luck
    Dave

Both nucs, very, very full of bees, were emptied the next day. They all flew home I'm assuming. One had pulled the brood out so there is a very depressing pile of larvae on the bottom, the other just abandoned. I'm thinking our extreme heat wave...turned 90 the last few days, now in the 60s, played a part in it. Thats ok, I'm going to go back to the mother hive and add another medium for her...I really did not need a couple more hives.

I hope my 4 nucs which I created from a cut out and hive dismantle on the 4/14 passes inspection next weekend... I think they had much better chance and so far are still very busy in and out.

Hmmm, with the pile of dead larvae, I'd blame it on foulbrood, mites, or the weather...*something* obviously caused a LOT of harm to the brood; whatever that way may well be what caused the bees to decide to abscond (or to go back to the parent hive) as well. Might be time for a brood inspection and mite count on the parent hive, just to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    Hmmm, with the pile of dead larvae, I'd blame it on foulbrood, mites, or the weather...*something* obviously caused a LOT of harm to the brood; whatever that way may well be what caused the bees to decide to abscond (or to go back to the parent hive) as well. Might be time for a brood inspection and mite count on the parent hive, just to be sure

I don't think so. This was a cut out and it was a rough one in a small space, where we had to rubber band the brood on to the frames and we were not very good at it. Then the temps went up very sharply. One hive had the brood taken out, one hive did not but the brood was obviously dead. I think there was nothing to keep them with the nucs instead of flying back to the hive and off they went. Not every situation is a mite problem.