Default What to do with candy board

So I made candy boards for the hives for winter. The boards are the typical sugar syrup and pollen substitiute, and are made in a wintering cover from Brushy Mountain. I have a few of them that the bees never touched through winter. Can I just leave these on going into spring and the bees will use it? I also have a couple packages coming. Can I use the boards to feed them in addition or instead of sugar water?

Default Re: What to do with candy board

If they haven't touched them, there not going to, and ant will be an issue shortly. You can store them for next winter, but we dissolve ours in water and feed syrup. Not sure about teh brussy mountain ones, I don't know haw well the dissolve. We make our own.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    If they haven't touched them, there not going to, and ant will be an issue shortly. You can store them for next winter, but we dissolve ours in water and feed syrup. Not sure about teh brussy mountain ones, I don't know haw well the dissolve. We make our own.
    Do you just chip it out of the cover to melt it down?? Its pretty hard right now, just wondering how easy it is going to be to get it out of the wintering cover......

Just break it up and soak it in water for a cpl days. But if thats a baked candy board I don't know how well they disolve. ours are dreid and pressed sugar.

I store chunks of bee candy in the freezer. When I need to use some candy, I take the candy out and let it dry out in the room. The candy absorbs moisture from the freezer; so, yes it does need to dry out a bit. It doesn't take long. It comes in real handy.
    Last edited by linn; 05-02-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: grammer