Default Question regarding package installation...

Hey everyone. Long time lurking, first time posting (be gentle). So I ordered a package of bees that's being shipped to me from out of state. 8 months ago or so, I got all hyped up and impulsively ordered a hive kit and a package of bees from an out of state company. After doing more research, I later found nucs available about an hours drive away. Being a first time keeper, I figured I'd start with the one package that's being shipped in, and 2 nucs that I'll pick up in a month or so.

Long story short, an emergency came up which is forcing me to fly out of town Friday morning and return Sunday night. I spoke to the apiary, and they said to expect the package of bees either Thursday OR Friday, and they can't guarantee a delivery date. If they come Thursday, I can install them no problem. If they come Friday, however, I won't be around to install them. I've read that you can keep them in a cool, dry place like a basement for a short time and spray them every now and then. Do you think it would be safe for the bees if I had someone take the Friday delivery, if it comes to it, and watch over them until Monday when I can put them in their new home?

I don't want to jeopardize the safety of the bees, so I might end up cancelling the shipment if I have to. Just wanted to get some expert advise =)

Also, if they can remain in the cage over the weekend, how often should they be sprayed? Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: Question regarding package installation...

It is always best to put them in the hive the same day you receive the package. Mornings and evenings are the best because it is cool. I have had some package bees in the past that consume all the syrup in the can in three days. My first recommendation is to call the package supplier and see if they could delay the shipment to the following week. If you do end up receiving the package you'll need to feed it several times a day with sugar water. I found it is most effective to turn the package on its side and pour a cup of syrup into the package. Warning: it will drip out the other side. I think they get more feed this way than just spraying the syrup onto the screen with a squirt bottle.

my first-ever package arrived last tuesday. i was out of town for work and had a friend pick them up for me and keep them in his basement until i got home thursday afternoon. he didn't spray them or refill the can while he had them. when i pulled out the syrup can, they hadn't entirely emptied it but came close. i installed the package two days later on thursday, and they are doing great now (provided the snow that is falling outside doesn't nuke them).
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Thanks for the help guys! They came before I had to fly out, so I installed them last Thursday. Just got back in to town this morning and couldn't help but peek in to the hive top feeder I had, and the majority of 2 gallons of syrup is gone and they're building comb on the inside mesh of the feeder! I'm going to suit up and check on the queen later today. Thanks again for the advice.