Default Crystalized Honey

I bottle my honey in 9 oz jars. The honey is kept in the basement where it is somewhat cooler. I was giving some honey away yesterday and I noticed that about a 1/4 of each jar had crystalized on the bottom of the jar. Does this have any effect on the honey? As an experiment I took a spoon and merely mixed it and then took warm water on another jar. About the same effect as it works fairly well both ways. I am more concerned about any other problems. Hoe come the lousy honey at the grocery stores doesn't crystalize?

Default Re: Crystalized Honey

Crystallization does not affect the food value or safety of honey. Temperature during storage and processing, plus pollen content have an effect on crystallization.

The views expressed below are from the National Honey Board, largely reflecting the view of large commercial packers, but still a useful reference:

http://www.honey.com/images/download...allization.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

The honey in the stores is pasturized which reduces the crystalizing. Just warm it up in some warm water and you are good

I try to make mine crystallize as quickly as possible, which makes it smoother. It tastes better if it's never heated, and if it's never heated it crystallizes quickly. 56 F is the fastest. Anything close to that is pretty fast.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I try to make mine crystallize as quickly as possible, which makes it smoother. It tastes better if it's never heated, and if it's never heated it crystallizes quickly. 56 F is the fastest. Anything close to that is pretty fast.
    Do you cream it then?

I just bottle it and put it on the window sill where it's cold (I'm harvesting when it's cold at night).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF