Thread: feeder????

Default feeder????

What do people recommend as the best feeder?
    Thanks
    Ralph

Default Re: feeder????

i use a miller type feeder....your results may very...greg

I've tried just about all of them. My favorite is an inverted mason jar through a migratory cover. Cheap, simple, easy, don't have to open the hive, sun warms the syrup so they take it good.

I use frame feeders in all my brood chambers. Easy to fill. Can add up to 2 gallons at a time. Only requires opening the lid 3". Syrup is warmed by being in the hive. Bees don't have to go outside to get the food. Little robbing. I don't use cap and ladder currently, but I did previously. With cap and ladder you have very few drowned bees.

There are lots of ways to feed. Find a method that you are comfortable with, and do it.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

I like one that is like a chicken water from Simsons. Place on top of a intercover. With a Emptybox on top of it.

I have some of the top feeders from Mann Lake (plastic). It holds a lot of syrup which is nice but bees build bur comb in it and they don't syrup as long from it in the fall. I also have used baggies their are OK just hate filling them and throwing them away. I like the inner cover with a hole for a mason jar, and a gallon feeder pail, easy to fill and they take it longer in the fall the drawback then is adding an empty super.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

dave cushman is a deceased brit who's website is still being maintained and has a drawing of the miller feeder that just screams I AM EASY TO BUILD! top right of the home page has an A to Z index in the top right corner. Just search dave cushman beekeeper and you will find the site.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by beehonest View Post
    I have some of the top feeders from Mann Lake (plastic). It holds a lot of syrup which is nice but bees build bur comb in it and they don't syrup as long from it in the fall. I also have used baggies their are OK just hate filling them and throwing them away. I like the inner cover with a hole for a mason jar, and a gallon feeder pail, easy to fill and they take it longer in the fall the drawback then is adding an empty super.
    I have the Mann Lake top feeders, too. They work well, but I had to run a bead of silicone around the screen to keep the bees out of the syrup. But once that's done, it's a piece of cake to fill.

But I only have a few hives. If you have hundreds or thousands of hives, it might be a different matter.

I like the BM plastic top feeder, too, but they don't make it for 8-frame hives.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Free is hard to beat.]
    Not only is it hard to beat, free is my favorite price.

cchoganjr

Baggie feeders work for me. Of course I like the free ones I get whenever someone decides beekeeping is not for them................
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

For me, it is hard to beat the migratory top with Mason Jar feeders. Use glass jars. Use quarts, 1/2 gallon, or gallon jars. Easy to feed; can see how fast they are taking it; don't have to open hive to refill; sum warms the glass jar quickly; does not require an empty deep over it.

Thru top feeders.jpg

cchoganjr

I use mann lake hive top feeders ( expensive if you have a lot of hives) some say place the Hivetop feeder over top of a inner cover to prevent burr comb build up..I've been using a gallon and a half frame feeders with ladders with good success.