Default Brushy mountain Inner cover

I'm using the Brushy Mountain inner cover that has the top entrance on it. Watching the bees today come and go I was seeing a few utilizing that top entrance, but in order for them to do so they have to enter the space between the inner and outer cover then walk over to it. So in my infinite wisdom, I thought if I turn the inner cover over that entrance would then be inside the hive and be easier and faster for them to use. Now I'm wondering if my new beek infinite wisdom has made the bee space on the underside of the inner cover between the frames too small, or created other problems I haven't thought of. The bees are utilizing that entrance more now that its directly in the hive. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Brushy mountain Inner cover

That is how have all mine set up, entrance notch down. Mine are not Brushy Mountain but even with some of my homemade versions with extra bee space I have never had much of a burr comb issue with the inner cover.
    John

Sounds to me that the bees didn't mind walking over the inner cover to utilize the "short cut".
    I've had some cutouts where the bees traveled better than 5 feet to get to the section of comb they wanted. A foot or so isn't squat.

I haven't experimented with them, but mine say "This Side Up." I figure that's there for a reason.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I think you are messing with bee space to have them notch side down in the warm times of the year.

For winter I make the notches into an upper entrance by inverting the cover, placing duct tape over the hole, place Styrofoam insulation on top of the inner cover, put the outer cover on top of the foam, and run a strap around the entire hive to keep the cover from blowing off.

I feel that during the summer, even if I had the covers notched side down, the entrance would be blocked by the outer cover.

What I do instead is bore auger holes (7/8" cause that was the bit I had handy) in the upper right front corner of the box as you are facing the hive. In the winter I cover the hole with duct tape and wrap the hive with tar paper (aka roofing felt)
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

The notch in the topside of an inner cover is intended for ventilation.
    Turning the cover upside down in spring will result in a load of comb drawn between the cover and top bars below….and when the bees fill it with honey, it’ll be a mess and waste to remove.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards