Default practical differences between a 8frame med and 5 frame deep

I was wondering about the differences , the both have the same square inches of frame real estate for queen laying. but how do they compare in the overwintering and standing the heat of the summer. Admittedly I like staying with all one size frame and have access to free external plywood and have started started making five frame boxes.
    Rick Kumer

Default Re: practical differences between a 8frame med and 5 frame deep

Rick, have you considered doing a 4 over 4 medium configuration - that would let you stick to medium frames. I winter in 5 over 5 frame deeps.
    http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/Ad...ml?sort=6&o=61

1) The 8 frame hive stack will be shorter, and more stable

2)You'll need proportionately more frames with the medium, and more boxes and more money /labor to buy/make them.

3) A 5 fr nuc will swarm pretty quickly. The Medium might as well, I've little experience w/ 8 frm med.

4) A tall stack 5 5-deeps can be pretty unstable, you'll have to compensate for that

The biggest issue would be stability, but the mediums also communicate better in winter as the cluster tends to span more than one box. I think the eight frame fits a typical cluster better. The five frame would crowd them more and a ten frame has excess space on the sides.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Rick- Look at a hollow tree trunk with bees. Then you decide!

correct me if I am wrong but won't the cluster adjust for the size and shape of the box, tree, or what ever the container they are in. Yes there would be a stability problem I can see that. Would it then a t-post put next to the hive and the box strap to it help any, or have multiple boxes next to each other to lend there support. Or some variation of these themes. the reason I ask these questions is that I have access to quite a few of these boxes and want to multipurpose them and the other day I was reading Michael Bush's book (Loved by the way, learned a lot) and he was talking about how the 8 frame med was a good compromise between the med and deep boxes.
    Rick Kumer

Quote Originally Posted by CtyAcres View Post
    Rick- Look at a hollow tree trunk with bees. Then you decide!
    Thank you I will, from what I have seen they are of all sizes and shapes. The little fairy that creates hollow trunks are not very consistent in there creations
    Rick Kumer

>correct me if I am wrong but won't the cluster adjust for the size and shape of the box, tree, or what ever the container they are in.

Sort of. They prefer to be spherical, but they can adjust if they need to. But they do better when they are spherical and fill the space available naturally. With a ten frame they will NOT fill the space out to the walls, they will be spherical and in the middle somewhere. Honey will be left behind.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post

Sort of. They prefer to be spherical, but they can adjust if they need to. But they do better when they are spherical and fill the space available naturally. With a ten frame they will NOT fill the space out to the walls, they will be spherical and in the middle somewhere. Honey will be left behind.
    So would the four-five frame boxes then allow the cluster to fully utilize the available honey stores they have, would that not help in those really cold winters , help stop starving?
    Last edited by weldingfreak6010; 05-07-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Rick Kumer

>So would the four-five frame boxes then allow the cluster to fully utilize the available honey stores they have, would that not help in those really cold winters , help stop starving?

They would be a little too narrow and they would be too unstable and would blow over too easily. Eight seems to work out just right.

I see your point, thanks Ya getting blown over would be a bummer for the girls we try so hard to take care of.
    Rick Kumer