Lightbulb Russian Beekeepers use cloth inner covers, your thoughts?

Hi guys,

I've got 3 horizontal lang hives and I've been contemplating using a cloth innercover. It seems to be the norm with Russian beekeepers but I wanted to know if any of you've tried it and how it went.

Thanks,
    Vancity

Default Re: Russian Beekeepers use cloth inner covers, your thoughts?

I use burlap/hessian as inner-covers on a British national/Zander hives. I like it a great deal as you can gently peel back the inner-cover without much disturbance to the bees. Two issues with cloth covers, the bees will eat through them is they are not thick enough or prepared in some way, have a look at the Warre method they use cloth covers too. Of course the bees will propolise the cloth cover.
    If you have condensation issues, the cloth will absorb it and prevent dripping on the bees, but will go moldy in time and need to be replaced. Used covers make great smoker fuel.

last summer I had the opportunity to have a Ukrainian keeper show me the insides of some of his hives. his family had been keeping bees for generations in the old country. I think he has been in the usa about 20 years. he uses standard 10 frame deep boxes with 9 frames in them for brood boxes , he told me he liked thick combs. the inner covers varied some, a piece of folded heavy cloth, some a piece of plywood. some a standard cover and some just pieces of thin scrap wood side by side that is how his dad taught him. the small hive beteles really liked the odd pieces of wood the best with some also in the cloth inner cover hives. the plywood and standard inner cover hives did not have the bugs, that is if the inner covers had the narrow side down, no place for them to hide. the keeper also liked to have his brood boxes real full of bees before adding a super. the whole experience was real good, a real nice guy to get to know. if you are going to use cloth inner covers be real carefull how you fold them so you do not give SHB a place to hide. we are far enough north for SHB not to be a serious long term problem, I am near Kingston Ontario. my Ukrainian friend winters his bees in the Carolinas some years, some years they stay on the edge of the addirondac mountains. if the bees stay up north he puts on an empty super and fills it with rags, i think he said part full of old clothes. it was a real interesting evening in the beeyard. we used a smoker but no veils or gloves, and tee shirts for bee suits. the bees were carnillion/Russian crosses and real tame. they responded real well to an ocaisonal blast of heavy smoke. my conclussion was that I was and am still not a big fan of any kind of inner covers. solid ones with no cut out in the middle are ok. if you need ventilation open up the top front edge.

I have some hives w/ cloth inner covers. Other nonRussian beekeepers do too.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

this used to be very common in upstate new york. mostly pieces of carpet cut up. (fuzzy side up)

Burlap bags, feed sacks. I don't know about carpet. beeware10 has probably lived in NY longer than I.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I have an unlimited supply of used carpet but I am wondering what advantage it would have over a standard wooden inner cover. Wouldn't you be forced to use a telescoping cover to prevent the carpet from getting wet?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

yes.. in my comments above all of the covers were telescopeing. they work out better with our contiueous ridiculous wind in northern ny. I grew up in new England with migratoy covers I like them better but not in my climate now.

pictures or videos of this?

I am almost Russian. I use cut up chicken feed bags as inner covers on my long langs. I used to use burlap, but the girls waxed them all up real bad.

The bags I use are the woven plastic coated ones. just flip them so the woven inner side is down. I suppose you could use dog food bags for it too. They are the same type of bag normally.

I use burlap bags as insulation packing for Winter. I add a top super and fill a layer of wadded up burlap bags on it. Works great for a moisture absorber.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I believe Kirk Webster uses cloth inner covers, at least on the nucs he has in divided 10 frame deeps. I seem to recall a video where he shows how he can fold back one side and not disturb the bees on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    I believe Kirk Webster uses cloth inner covers, at least on the nucs he has in divided 10 frame deeps. I seem to recall a video where he shows how he can fold back one side and not disturb the bees on the other.
    Thank you! Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5shWkTOBivU (Starts around 1:18 into the video and talks about the bags around 3:30)

Germans use plastic as inner covers, at least these do;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTvp1lupHY
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.