Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

drone color?

880 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  delber 
#1 ·
Can one queen lay 2 different colored drones? I had a hive last year that swarmed on me and I never got the swarm, but it was a great hive until that point. Well one of my other hives that overwintered in this yard I was there today and saw the dark drones (from the current hive) and the orangish colored drones that look like the other hive. I know I don't have other hives with drones yet because I inspected a week ago and only had just capped drones in the other hives. So my hope is that the swarm made it through the winter and I have a chance to find and catch a swarm from them unless a queen can lay 2 different color drones. I didn't think this was possible, but I have to ask.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 ·
First, keep in mind that drones drift shamelessly...

But yes, a queen can lay different colored drones. Each drone is a random assortment of her two possibilities for each gene, and one of those could be black color and one could be golden color and the drones will be a random choice of one or the other of those.

#3 ·
Thanks MB. I knew that drones shift everywhere and that's what I was hoping. I was hoping that the swarm was still alive and made it through winter so I had a chance of catching it once it swarmed again. I also thought that a drone was the makeup of the queen only. It being an unfertilized egg I am surprised that there are different color drones that a queen can lay. Could this be because of a hybrid (AKA "Mut") queen? She isn't "pure" anything. So perhaps the drones go back to the "pure" form of the type of bee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.