Default Deformed Wing Virus (DWV)

Okay, one of my hives has DWV showing up in newly emerged workers and now newly emerged drones. Knowing that this is a virus, and by definition untreatable, is it prudent to kill and clean the entire hive? I haven't heard anyone suggest or propose this before. I just treated for mites with hopguard, but a virus is a virus and persistant after the varroah have gone. Who knows the proper treatment?
    Jim in Olympia, Washington

Default Re: Deformed Wing Virus (DWV)

It's not transmissable between bees as far as I know. It's vectored via mite, and has to be done so during development. A bee with normal wings will not have it's wings shrivel up. To clear up DWV, you need to get rid of your mite problem. I would monitor very closely, Hopguard did not work for a lot of people last year.

I would give them a thymol treatment with a paste or better a thymol strip. This will solve the mite problem within a short time.

Last month I used Formic acid and tracked how the process went with these three episodes. Definitely Do Not kill the hive. Drench them in honey B healthy or essential oils but they can be treated. It's mites and yes using thymol or formic acid will kill off many bees the others will be better for it. http://todolisthome.com/get-the-hive...g-formic-acid/
    http://todolisthome.com/mite-away-ii...e-part-2-of-3/
    http://todolisthome.com/put-mite-awa...n-the-beehive/

Hopguard does not kill the mites in the brood, so you would need to treat for 3 consecutive weeks to take care of the mites. Apiguard (thymol) requires the same multiple treatments for the same reason. This time of year, with brood levels high, you'll need to do multiple treatments, or try MAQS (formic acid) which kill mites that are with the brood. I like to use a single strip and then monitor for mite after treatment.

I had bad mites last year. Had the same problem, deformed wings, I used Mite away, and it cleared it up. In fact that hive is one of my strongest this year. The only time I would consider destroying bees or equipment is AFB. MAQS have always been good to me, I had an old timer tell me about them when I first started.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Thank you all for the encouragement and benefit of your experience. I'll post in a couple of weeks to let you know how successful I was with this hive. One thing of note, western Washington had a very mild winter this year and we have all sorts of insects thriving this spring. You know; yellow jackets, spiders (I know - not an insect), probably ticks and mosquitos and fleas will show up, too. I suspect that the bees in this overwintered hive continued to raise brood throughout the winter (Italians) making for a perfect breeding ground for the Varroa.
    Jim in Olympia, Washington

Particularly at this time of year, deformed wings can be caused by damage from the cold, so it might not be the virus.

"At The Hive Entrance" by H. Storch (free download, Google it) says:

Symptom:
    Young bees with stunted wings or other malformations fall to
    the ground, on making their first cleansing flight.

Explanation
    These bees have developed from larvae having suffered
    from either the cold, lack of pollen or liquid nourishment
    and are found principally in colonies nursing a
    large brood. A check-up for varroasis should be carried
    out for this could also be the cause of malformation."