Default Transferring a Deep Frame Nuc into Medium Supers

Hello,

I purchased nuc that came on Deep frames. I only have medium boxes and medium frames, I'm wondering what's the best way to transition them into medium boxes/frames?

I was thinking of:

Top Cover
    Medium Box - with empty Medium Frames
    Medium Box - The 5 deep nuc frames would hang in the middle of this box (no frames would be added on the sides)
    Medium Box
    Bottom Board

The new nuc would start in a hive with 3 mediums, is this too much space? or should I purchase a deep box to replace the 2 bottom mediums instead?

Is it correct to assume the bees will build upwards and I can eventually remove the deep frames on the bottom?

Thank you and any advice or techniques would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bsteineman; 04-30-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Default Re: Deep Frame Nuc transition to Medium Supers

never tried that method but it sounds like they might make a mess with that system if your not careful. When I transition from deeps to mediums, It takes me a year. I start with a deep and stack mediums on top. The next spring all the bees will be in the mediums and I simply take the deep away.

When I was considering this, someone suggested using a dremel and cutting the deeps to size and putting that in the medium, doing so, you lose 20% of the comb, which may or may not contain brood.
    You could also put five frames in the bottom medium, five frames in a middle medium, and in the remainng space, put two by fours cut to size and insert the deeps. The two by fours will prevent them from building comb downward in the 3 inches of space below that would be open without it.

I have the same problem - I run 8-frame mediums, and the nucs I buy come as 5-frame deeps. I found a 5-frame to 8/10-frame transistion board at Brushy Mountain:

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/649/

I plan to have the 5-frame nuc on the bottom, then the transistion board, then a 8-frame medium. That way, the bees will be forced to start building in 8-frame medium equipment pretty much from day one.

I will remove the 5-frame nuc at the end of winter, like Deepsouth mentioned above. This way, I don't have to buy more unwanted deep frames to fill out an 8-frame deep, or have bees build out deep frame comb that would soon be taken out of circulation.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenzero View Post
    When I was considering this, someone suggested using a dremel and cutting the deeps to size and putting that in the medium, doing so, you lose 20% of the comb, which may or may not contain brood.
    You could also put five frames in the bottom medium, five frames in a middle medium, and in the remainng space, put two by fours cut to size and insert the deeps. The two by fours will prevent them from building comb downward in the 3 inches of space below that would be open without it.
    From what I understand I'll consolidate it down to 2 medium boxes packed with medium frames and some 2x4 wood under the deep frames.

Top Cover
    Medium Box - 5 Empty Medium Frames & 5 Deep Nuc Frames
    Medium Box - 5 Empty Medium Frames
    Bottom Board

Should I still keep another empty medium box on the top in case they want to build upwards? instead of sideways or downwards. Would adding follower boards to the side of the deep frames help them to build upwards?
    Last edited by bsteineman; 04-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.

What if you cut a hole the size of the nuc top opening in a piece of 1/8 or 1/4" sheetstock (whatever's handy -coroplast, masonite, plywood) the same dimensions as your medium brood box, and:

1) put your queen and a shake of bees into the medium box full of comb or frames;

2) put the reducer board described above on top of the nuc
    (If you use a med. nuc instead of a hive body for this transition, you won't need his board at all, just an excluder)

3) put a queen excluder on top of that, and

4) put the brood box containing the queen and shake of bees atop that.

If my understanding of bee biology is right, the queen will start laying in the medium box, and nurse bees will move up to attend the brood.

As the brood below emerges, it and the nurse bees that had been attending them will migrate up to tend the open brood above. within 3 weeks there will be no brood below and you can remove the deep nuc, transition board & excluder.

If the bees put up any nectar in the deep nuc, you can set it on end to be robbed right next to the hive if it is the only one you have in that yard, or far enough away ass not to invite robbing if you have more than one hive there.

What do you guys who've been keeping bees for five or ten years think?
    Is that a good idea, or is there a simpler way?